Need help making some big decisions

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been planning out a build for a while now (more than 2 years) and the pieces are finally starting to fit together. Moved into the house we'll be staying in for a while, almost finished with grad school (I'm working full time and grad school = no time for a tank), and the house renovations are ongoing, to be finished soonish (tank doesn't start until the house renovations are finished - says the spouse).

My starting plan is to buy a used 180 to 225 setup (72" x 24" x height, where I don't care so much about the height) since they seem to be the most commonly available large used setup, and you can get them for a steal compared to the cost of buying new. I have a couple of general questions where I'm looking for ideas from more experienced reefers

1) The used setups that I've seen that are most appealing are people who have recently decided to sell, but still have complete setups with livestock. I would like to buy one of those setups (whichever one has the stand I like most and best equipment) and start with fresh sand and rocks while quarantining the existing fish and dipping the existing corals, however my guess is that whatever system I buy will have far to many fish to effectively quarantine all at one time. Any ideas to deal with this on my own?

Of course I think the best scenario would be a buddy(s) with a quarantine tank (which I currently don't have, but I might be able to find a nice local reefer who would help on a local forum), or a LFS with spare room, but I want a backup plan that's self sufficient. Just keep two or three 40's depending on the # of fish and water change like crazy? I guess I could sell off livestock myself though (these sellers selling whole systems seem to typically be unwilling to part out and sell livestock first)

2) I have two possible tank locations, one is in the family room (open floorplan with the kitchen) where we spend 90% of our time when we're awake and at home, the other is in the "living room" in the front of the house where we don't go so much. I'm strongly leaning towards the family room, but I'm wondering what you guys think? A few (non-fish) people thought that it would be better to have more seating in a family room (I already have 6 seats) and then have the tank in the living room which would be the "grownup relaxation room" of sorts, personally I think with the time, money, and effort involved with the tank I'd want it somewhere where I can enjoy it all the time. But again, I'd like some opinions from reefers. Note: I plan to have a basement sump room and to buy quiet equipment as necessary to keep noise down, regardless of where the tank is placed.

What do you guys think?

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say where you spend most of your time. Like you said-after all the time and $ you will want to enoy it as much as you can and you will be able to see if something is not quite right, the sooner you see a problem the sooner you can fix it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back