need help on lights formy tank! Maybe noopsyche, maxspect ethereal Ai primes, photons, zetlight qmaven

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have been racking my brain for weeks on led lights for a 36 in bowfront! It is 30 wide 20 deep. I was real close to order the noopsyche today, couldnt decide beteen usa or chinese. The chinese way cheaper but someone said they were fakes, I am seriously doubting that being they come from china anyway and seems if they would make fakes it would be radions! I like the look of them and the mount is nice and thick. The problem is I proably wont stay in this tank long and will either move to a frag tank or to a 120 gallon that is 48 x 24. Noop has a 90 degree lens so I was told by the representative that if its deeper than 18 than it has a radius of 18 x 18 so I guess that wont ever work for a 24 no matter how many I get unless maybe I set them sideways and dont want to do that. I like the looks of it has the right specs. From what I read on corals do best 14 k white and maybe 20 k as well. Most I see have low kelvin or only one. I prefer 2 whites and a true uv below 400 and a red. blues of course of 2 or 3 nm's. I found a great price for maxspect etheral for 449.00 and they are so wide that I figured 2 would work on such a large tank and maybe one on the 36 bowfront for now, but they have no red! 3 whites and 3 blues but no red! Figures because nothing is working out!

I also saw some ai primes on sale today open box return and almost got them but I watched a youtube with par numbers and even though 5 inches under light he had 450 par it dropped so quickly that at 12 inches it was 150 I believe. If my tank is 2o inches or 19 filled it wont give much par on my sandbed if any at all the way it was dropping! Does anyone know if 2 ai primes can give decent par at 20 inches deep? I also really like the qmaven but no shimmer at all! I found a 28 inch for 229.00 or something really cheap in china but had no shimmer at all. I was totally against buying from china but these prices are very intriguing, If I could find a company here that has great customer service I would pay the difference but I have read more bad things about some of these expensive lights than some of the chinese and I know that some will trouble shoot for you and send you the part instead of making you ship it in and not wantt o trouble shoot at all. So being a continent away may be an advantage in that case! All th e brands I have mentioned have either cree or osram lens or so they say but I just read there is cree usa and cree made by bridelux, so I dont even know what to think now! I know that ai used t o use cree and now they have switched to what radion used to use so maybe buying a new ai prime is like buying a g4 radion! haha. Since I could borrow power the prime is sitting at the top of my list, does anyone use these on 20 deep tanks? I have read reviews and some had 40 breeders but those arent as deep but mostly seem to be used on nano tanks but i did read quite a few using 4 and 5 on bigger tanks as well, they just look so small and unimpressive and I am about asthetics as well as the other things I mentioned. I saw some youtubes of the ai with some crazy color pop so I really want mad color pop!

A list of some that I am intrested in and if anyone has any feedback or inof on

Believe it or not pop bloom has 4 channels and look fantastic with whites on! Nice shimmer but light itself is ugly, they have a usa distributor as well
noopsyche
reefbredders photon
zet light qmaven
maxspect etheral
used geizeman aurora for 400 but not sure about heat in florida as my tank is at 78 with a tiny led from my 10 gallon! haha
Lominie astra Looks like a kessil
sb reefs
ai primes
jabeo
geizeman vervve 499.00 a piece but big enough I think I could use 2 on my 120 and one on my 26.
micmol thor has some real cheap at premium aquatics for 279.00 for 100 watts or maybe 120 and 179.00 for lower watts but very small like a 4 x4

open to any suggestions! I am going mad! Thankls so much for anyhelp! My plan was radions unti my tank crashed and lost a ton of coral that I am currently replacing so now I have to be a cheap scape! Any good deals on corals. I lost mostly frags but had a 10 head branching green duncan I want replaced and a branching green center torch and a neon kenya tree and a kobe wada pink nepthea and a pink rhodactis with purple dots! Most softies lived but those feel off the rest were acans and green purple turbanaria long tentacle toadstool, blastos, and chalice, gonoporia, gorgonian, 3 head dendro, setosa beauty and the beast zoa,

If anyone can think of any for 500.00 or less for the 36 and 1,000.00 for 120

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it really depends on what you're wanting to grow in the eventual 120 more than anything. With just softies and some LPS, I don't think you'd really need those lights with the 450 surface par for your current tank. However, because of the depth of the 120 you might end up needing it so you can get adequate lighting on the sand bed. I'd say radions would be an easy pick and you might be able to snag some G4's since the G5's just came out and a ton of people on forums are upgrading.

There's a specific subforum for lights which is helpful but you could also search whatever lighting you were interested in the top right corner of R2R on a computer and I'm sure some great posts will come up.

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just missed a great sale on a maxpect razor cheap, new and came with the controller for the gyre! UGH I am sick. My tank is 30 inches so If I bought from store I would buy the 24 and that was a 32! so just one inch bigger on each side. I may get new radions. My hubby keeps telling me to! Just not sure if they are worth it and the older one are being sold almost the same price!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just missed a great sale on a maxpect razor cheap, new and came with the controller for the gyre! UGH I am sick. My tank is 30 inches so If I bought from store I would buy the 24 and that was a 32! so just one inch bigger on each side. I may get new radions. My hubby keeps telling me to! Just not sure if they are worth it and the older one are being sold almost the same price!
Coral he is having a close out on the maxspect products now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back