Need help on new lights for mixed reef

Ocus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st I want to start and say any opinions are taken for what they are worth and thank you in advance. I have a 100g mixed reef tank mostly softies and a few lps (hammers torches blastos) but would like to have an acro or 2. I currently have a maxspect razor 200w but the controller went out and it's on or off. I have been looking at getting red sea led 90w kessil ap9x and a few others but still don't really know what would be the best option. My tank is 48L x 24 w x 20h.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ocus10 I really like your approach. I have a similarly sized 120G and started with two AI Prime 16s which was a great start. Now using a Reefbreeders Photon 32 which I like for the price. But if I had the funds I would have used two AI Hydra 32s. I really like the control interface so much more.

Maybe I’m stating the obvious but BRS has great videos on lights. Like you I use them for the data.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20" high makes this a little more difficult. I have a similar sized tank, a 80 gallon that is 48"x24"x16". One thing I have struggled with since the beginning was having a mixed reef. I was always either had too much par for LPS or not enough for SPS. I got sick of trying everything I could to even out the Par with LEDs. In order this was the lighting I have tried.

4 Reef XHO Brite Bars. 2x 50/50 and 2x Actinic Blues

The same 4 bars with adding two Reef Breeders UV/Blue bars

the same 4 Reef Brite bars with a Kessil AP700

Each iteration I would use a Par meter and play with every combo of Bars and settings I could. But it was never just right for me. Finally as a last ditch effort I decided to give T5's a shot as I have never used them before. So I picked up a used ATI 6-Bulb fixture for super cheap and tried that. BINGO Granted I did have to raised the fixtured quite high up I was able to find the perfect par. My par is a bit on the high side for LPS but some claim T5's produce a softer less harsh light than LEDs. After having the fixture up for a while I also feel that is true. My LPS do great even under slightly higher par than what I would usually recommend for most. The upper portion of the tank is in the 280-380 Par range too, so I can keep pretty much any SPS I'd like. The best part was that since I bought a used fixture it was also super inexpensive. I even bought two Kessil A360x's as a backup if I didn't like the T5's and I've never used them yet.

OP
OP
Ocus10

Ocus10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and yeah @mike550ive watched nearly every BRS video on lights, and each time I watch them it's never really pulling me in one directions it's like 2 red seas would work but then there is the interface issues people have, and if I go with the kessil I think 1 would be just a bit to underpowered for the space and 2 would be over kill plus nearly 2k lol. The t5s I'm not a fan of, I have had t5 b4 and I just can't deal with them cost to much and like you said @Kodski it emits alot of light.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have the ease of use for settings like the red seas do? It took me a long while to get the maxspect tuned out
It apparently has some..

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and yeah @mike550ive watched nearly every BRS video on lights, and each time I watch them it's never really pulling me in one directions it's like 2 red seas would work but then there is the interface issues people have, and if I go with the kessil I think 1 would be just a bit to underpowered for the space and 2 would be over kill plus nearly 2k lol. The t5s I'm not a fan of, I have had t5 b4 and I just can't deal with them cost to much and like you said @Kodski it emits alot of light.
The Red Seas make me nervous. If I could have redone it, I would have started with two AI 16s

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back