Need Help Picking Fish

rush23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank size is 65 gallons. About 20 lbs of live rock is inside the tank.
Current livestock:
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Pair of clowns
Watchmen Goby
2 damsels (yellowtail)
2 Green Reef Chromis
Pesudochromis
3 red scarlet crabs
2 nassarius snails
Peppermint shrimp
Skunk shrimp (cleaner shrimp)

Fish I want:
Flame Angel (have one reserved at lfs)
Raccoon Butterfly
Cardinal
Mandarin (eventually)
Any kind of wrasse (will take suggestions)

Will these fish work? Any recommendations on the order I should buy them? Any suggestions of fish that aren't on the list that are your personal favorites?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In another thread you say your tank is 75g, here it says 65. In either case that's on the small side for one tang, let alone two.

I would recommend against the flame angel and raccoon butterfly, as they are both deep bodied and will likely be attacked by the tangs.

Depending on the Pseudochromis species, adding any fish that hang out around the rocks may be difficult.

OP
OP
rush23

rush23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it says 75g then I just mistyped. I normally don't recheck what I have written. And I can get rid of pesudochromis if needed.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple pseufos are aggressive, so removing him might help a little, but you still have 2 tangs in a small tank and they are going to contribute to issues in the tank.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't think it's wise to add more it's already overstocked with known aggressive n territorial fish in a smaller sized tank. The sailfin will be larger then tank should have n damsel are known aggressive.

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd get rid of the tangs mainly bc your tank is not big enough for those particular species. Maybe look into the Bristletooth tangs, if you really need a tang, as they stay smaller. Does your Pseudochromis have a black stripe going through the eye? If so then that's an Orchid Dottyback and are less aggressive than the Purple Dottybacks and you should be ok keeping it. Now if you got rid of the tangs, you could add the Flame Angel and a couple wrasses to add color and movement. I'd stay away from getting a Mandarin especially if you end up getting a wrasse, they may out compete the Mandarin for food, unless its eating frozen, but then I'd still be leery bc they're slow compared to the rest of the fish in your tank.

mrsaltwaterguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to come off as rude but it does seem as if you're waiting for someone to tell you that the tangs are ok to keep which they most certainly are not. A 36 inch tank just does not have enough swimming room, I have one in my 48 inch tank and it still seems too small to me. There are plenty of great options for a 65 gallon tank, add a colorful wrasse. I personally love my McCosker wrasse that I just added last week, he's active and very colorful. Like human said above remove the tangs and the flame angel should be ok (provided you aren't intending to add corals.)

OP
OP
rush23

rush23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a completely black ring around eye? Didn't see a line. Is that okay?

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has a completely black ring around eye? Didn't see a line. Is that okay?
Its most likely a Purple Dottyback then, I'd catch it if you can. They're extremely aggressive for their size and will also attack your shrimp, if you have any, for no reason at all.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back