Need Help - something is amiss --Phosphates, Nitrates, Ak

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank specs - Biocube 16 was established in Jan 2021. Inhabitants: 2 tuxedo sea urchins, a few snails, clown fish, hermit crab, emerald crab, and mostly soft corals. I have some macro algae I was trying to grow but most are being eaten by the sea urchins. Salinity is at 35, pH 8.1, and 78 degrees. Last weekend these were my Hanna readings: Alkaline 7.1 (dosed to increase to 8), MG 1230 (dosed to increase this but typically it is much higher so that was surprising), CA 442, Phosphate .07, Nitrates1.7 so I dosed to increase to 2-3.

In October, I tried to feed my corals Reef Roids. I thought I was using the right amount and even did a water change afterward but despite all that, I think I poisoned my tank with a phosphate flurry. I tried hard to correct it slowly but in the process, I lost my beautiful hammer coral a month later despite my best efforts. I invested in Hannah testers to ensure I was recording correct #s and during the worst of it I had phosphates of .47 and nitrates of 0 - oddly enough there was no algae bloom or anything like that. Before Christmas, I lost my first inhabitant of nearly 2 years, my Chromis :-( I am not sure if this is related since he seemed fine but who knows? My clownfish seems fine.

In recent weeks, I was able to reduce my phosphate to less than .1 but I have had to supplement Neo Nitrates to get my nitrates up to a better level. This past week, every morning the tank has a thin film of what looks like algae (not on the sand). So I have been adding nitrates all week but this feels highly unbalanced and very frustrating! I dosed 2 days ago and yesterday the readings were .03 for phosphates and 7.1 for nitrates - I did not test today nor did I dose so I am guessing tomorrow the nitrates will have dropped to 1 or 2.

I have a simple setup - an inch or so of sand and live rock, no protein skimmer, no algae scrubber, no bio balls. Alkaline also seems challenging to keep up in my tank - it is consistently around 7. I have a bag of carbon and a phosphate remover in the filtration area for now with an additional airstone. The other corals seem ok and I have a lot of visible copepods, mini starfish, and other small invertebrates. I also do a weekly water change of 5 gallons - RODI water with Red Sea and use Seachem supplements. One side note, I have had a hard time keeping mushroom coral. I finally had one thriving with poor parameters but since the phosphates have improved, the shroom is nowhere to be seen (sigh). The others seem fine.

What am I doing wrong or is the tank getting to a new maturity level where I have to constantly watch parameters and dose? And are some of us not meant to have mushroom coral? I am unclear on what makes them happy!
IMG_4012 2.png

Adding a pic of my tank from the past couple of weeks. Any advice or feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great from the photo! Sorry you're having all this trouble, I definitely would be frustrated as well. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is stability. Even though these things have happened over weeks, I'd say there is still some time to wait to let things settle from all the changes.

based on the corals that I can see in the picture, I'd personally stay away from the coral foods, I think they'll just add unneeded complexity to your life / system.

To be honest, as long as your corals look and seem happy, I wouldn't dose anything either. If you are trying to keep nitrates up, I would just try to feed more or add more fish. I have similar phosphates & nitrates as you about .1 and 2-5, respectively and everything is happy. I try to not focus on the numbers so much and let my eyes be my guide on how the animals are doing.

I think you're doing great!

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great from the photo! Sorry you're having all this trouble, I definitely would be frustrated as well. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is stability. Even though these things have happened over weeks, I'd say there is still some time to wait to let things settle from all the changes.

based on the corals that I can see in the picture, I'd personally stay away from the coral foods, I think they'll just add unneeded complexity to your life / system.

To be honest, as long as your corals look and seem happy, I wouldn't dose anything either. If you are trying to keep nitrates up, I would just try to feed more or add more fish. I have similar phosphates & nitrates as you about .1 and 2-5, respectively and everything is happy. I try to not focus on the numbers so much and let my eyes be my guide on how the animals are doing.

I think you're doing great!
Thanks so much for your feedback. Although I like knowing more about the chemistry parameters I almost feel like since I have been focusing on that more, I am having more issues - more of a feeling maybe than reality. I would like to have another fish so maybe that will help the nitrates issue. Your tank looks amazing!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add some more fish, it will make the reef come alive, and also solve your problem. Just go slow on any water changes until you get to the nutrient levels you want.

And very low phosphate is good, I am delighted if mine reads zero, because it won’t really be….. And then you will avoid many of the problems we read about.

I would also increase the alkalinity to around 8-8.5 as your on borderline of being to low and there is also test error margins. Magnesium around 1350.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a phosphate spike will kill fish, I've had phosphates go up to .45 before, my fish and corals were fine.

I do see you fish swimming at the top of the tank, and notice the water surface is very flat, so flat thsat the surface is like a mirror. Do you have a skimmer on the tank? If not, it might a lack of oxygen issue. Point that powerhead at the surface, get it agitated and moving, to help gas exchange and help put oxygen in the water. Not saying thats what killed the fish, just pointing out something that could be improved.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank specs - Biocube 16 was established in Jan 2021. Inhabitants: 2 tuxedo sea urchins, a few snails, clown fish, hermit crab, emerald crab, and mostly soft corals. I have some macro algae I was trying to grow but most are being eaten by the sea urchins. Salinity is at 35, pH 8.1, and 78 degrees. Last weekend these were my Hanna readings: Alkaline 7.1 (dosed to increase to 8), MG 1230 (dosed to increase this but typically it is much higher so that was surprising), CA 442, Phosphate .07, Nitrates1.7 so I dosed to increase to 2-3.

In October, I tried to feed my corals Reef Roids. I thought I was using the right amount and even did a water change afterward but despite all that, I think I poisoned my tank with a phosphate flurry. I tried hard to correct it slowly but in the process, I lost my beautiful hammer coral a month later despite my best efforts. I invested in Hannah testers to ensure I was recording correct #s and during the worst of it I had phosphates of .47 and nitrates of 0 - oddly enough there was no algae bloom or anything like that. Before Christmas, I lost my first inhabitant of nearly 2 years, my Chromis :-( I am not sure if this is related since he seemed fine but who knows? My clownfish seems fine.

In recent weeks, I was able to reduce my phosphate to less than .1 but I have had to supplement Neo Nitrates to get my nitrates up to a better level. This past week, every morning the tank has a thin film of what looks like algae (not on the sand). So I have been adding nitrates all week but this feels highly unbalanced and very frustrating! I dosed 2 days ago and yesterday the readings were .03 for phosphates and 7.1 for nitrates - I did not test today nor did I dose so I am guessing tomorrow the nitrates will have dropped to 1 or 2.

I have a simple setup - an inch or so of sand and live rock, no protein skimmer, no algae scrubber, no bio balls. Alkaline also seems challenging to keep up in my tank - it is consistently around 7. I have a bag of carbon and a phosphate remover in the filtration area for now with an additional airstone. The other corals seem ok and I have a lot of visible copepods, mini starfish, and other small invertebrates. I also do a weekly water change of 5 gallons - RODI water with Red Sea and use Seachem supplements. One side note, I have had a hard time keeping mushroom coral. I finally had one thriving with poor parameters but since the phosphates have improved, the shroom is nowhere to be seen (sigh). The others seem fine.

What am I doing wrong or is the tank getting to a new maturity level where I have to constantly watch parameters and dose? And are some of us not meant to have mushroom coral? I am unclear on what makes them happy!
IMG_4012 2.png

Adding a pic of my tank from the past couple of weeks. Any advice or feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Is it possible that the light is too intense for a mushroom coral?

Fish can die of old age. Probably a random event.

What was the reason for starting to feed Reef Roids?

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the light is too intense for a mushroom coral?

Fish can die of old age. Probably a random event.

What was the reason for starting to feed Reef Roids?
Thanks for your comment - I was thinking the same about my fish - it is hard to know how old they are from your LFS! I had tried Reef Roids before but did not have the Hammer. I kept reading that even if it is not required, many corals do better with feeding. I tried again, but maybe I fed too much. I won't do that again!

I upgraded my lighting a year ago with Steve's LEDs, but I am using the recommended setting for this tank size (about 50%). The mushroom moved to a cave area for a bit, but now I don't see him. Is .03 dirty enough for shrooms?

I have a small 3-gallon, which is my quarantine, and I try to keep the parameters similar - it does have lesser level light. I have 3 very small mushrooms in there, not growing or dying but not spreading. I have a Singularia frag , Grubes Gogonian frag, and a very small GSW plug. Lots of copepods and other small creatures.

Thanks for the feedback. Also, is 5-gallon change on a Biocube 16 sufficient? If nitrates are low, is that too much? I am going to test now.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comment - I was thinking the same about my fish - it is hard to know how old they are from your LFS! I had tried Reef Roids before but did not have the Hammer. I kept reading that even if it is not required, many corals do better with feeding. I tried again, but maybe I fed too much. I won't do that again!

I upgraded my lighting a year ago with Steve's LEDs, but I am using the recommended setting for this tank size (about 50%). The mushroom moved to a cave area for a bit, but now I don't see him. Is .03 dirty enough for shrooms?

I have a small 3-gallon, which is my quarantine, and I try to keep the parameters similar - it does have lesser level light. I have 3 very small mushrooms in there, not growing or dying but not spreading. I have a Singularia frag , Grubes Gogonian frag, and a very small GSW plug. Lots of copepods and other small creatures.

Thanks for the feedback. Also, is 5-gallon change on a Biocube 16 sufficient? If nitrates are low, is that too much? I am going to test now.
You are doing what everyone else is doing. Hard to point to any one thing that is off. You will probably figure it out soon and be overrun with mushroom coral :)

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested both tanks. Ph Salinity Temp are all the same. I had a thought - should I not add the Brightwell bacteria in each water change? Can that eat up nitrates? Sorry if that is a silly question. Also, is it ok to use Distilled water if I am out of RODI? Not sure if purified drinking water is better than distilled water to use with Red Sea. I cannot get to the LFS this weekend.

Biocube 16:
Nitrate: 5.9
Phosphate .13 (not sure why that jumped but it is water change weekend).
AK - 9.0
MG 1400
CA 529 - not sure if this is correct as it is usually lower and I didn't dose

Micro 3 gallon:
Nitrate: 4.4
Phosphate: .09
AK - 8.9
MG- 1370
(didn't test CA)

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing what everyone else is doing. Hard to point to any one thing that is off. You will probably figure it out soon and be overrun with mushroom coral :)
Thanks - I hope that is the case - mushrooms look so cool. I just posted my parameters from today - I don't think anything is alarming - The phosphates did increase for some reason but I will do a water change today and my nitrates are not 0. Do you keep your nitrates at the same ratio to phosphates?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks good overall. High light will bleach mushrooms and at times cause them to shrink

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks good overall. High light will bleach mushrooms and at times cause them to shrink
Thanks - I am starting to wonder if that is the main problem in the Biocube. I could look at reducing the power somehow. What I don't get is why the one I have is no longer in the cave area where it moved to and was shaded. So I suspected my water quality but this is how it looked last week...
IMG_4026.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks - I am starting to wonder if that is the main problem in the Biocube. I could look at reducing the power somehow. What I don't get is why the one I have is no longer in the cave area where it moved to and was shaded. So I suspected my water quality but this is how it looked last week...
IMG_4026.png
Often like an anemone, when they move, there is too much water flow and/or light

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back