Need help tangs!!!

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I recently got a new blue hippo small in size but has been fine with my yellow tang for the last few days the other day I noticed white spots on the hippo so i went and got kick Ick and the rally they come together so I did 2 doses of the ich treatment as well as 2 of the rally for safe measures and my yellow tank no has black dots so I am unsure if this is ich or para vortex black spot disease the yellow tang was by the cleaner shrimp all last night and he now seems to have no black dots hoping they didn't burst and get all over the tank but we will see what happens has anyone ever delt with this before or both also the freshwater dip seems very extreme and most fish don't make it is there anything else I can do and if the black spots are gone is the parasite I think I knwo the answer to this one but we'll see the range are eating fine and the yellow tang seems normal but the blue hippo doesn't seem that good earlier he was scratching at the sand now he's laying on a rock not doing much I hope they both make it i have. 120 gallon and the tank is about 3 months old any help or advise is much appreciated thanks guys
image.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I have 2 clowns a chromis a purple fire fish, diamond goby yellow watchman and pistol shrimp nothing else showing any signs of ich or black dots yet

addicted2reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to tell you this. Pull all you fish and quarantine them in a bare bottom hospital tank. Dose copper and save as many as you can. YouTube marine ich treatment. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the black spots on the yellow tang also marine ich? They are now gone but who knows maybe just diffrent cycle I think I may try to finish the dosing of the rid i i treatment only because I have seen it work before if not then I will qt all the fish and do the copper only thing I gont like is it says DT should stay without fish for 78 days??? Jezz. This ich and even the black spots weather it's paravortex or like marine velvet is only a fish disease parasite right? They cycles live in the substrate and such but they don't infect corals I think/hope

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippos are nortorious for ICH.
If you do not have a QT set up, don't freak out the fish and start changing anything. the fish have the capability of getting rid of it themselves. My dumb Hippo comes down with it everytime I do something to my tank she doesn't like. 2 other fish got it this past time, but alas, they are all eating and doing quite fine. They just got rid of it, had it for roughly 2 months.
I'd leave em alone, and feed em well.

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang is feeding good the hippo not as much not more worried about scratching i think what caused the stress was adding the diamond goby and me taking out some smaller rocks to clean some algae off the tank is only about 3 months old i will wait to see if the treatment I have does anything while I try to boost the fishes immune and healt with feedings and if all else fails I'll do a Qt tank to eliminate ich from my main tank then ill QT every new fish thanks for help so far guys

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black dots are probably "black ich" - which is actually a worm not a parasite. For this, you can treat with Prazipro right in the DT.

The white spots are probably ich (external parasites) and unfortunately, there is no reef safe treatment for this. I will post a link below with treatment options.

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble fish I have hurd of this stuff working but it is affecting my green bubble tip anemone every time I dose which is now been 2 times he's closing and pooing out a brown slime he looks great in a day or so but im woundering if it's the ich treament that was doing it I think I'm just gunna do the copper dosing in a 25 gallon I have

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also last night a did a Ro dip with the blue tang for about 3 minutes he's still not eating really but he has stopped scratching around on everything and seems to be swimming around a lot more so we will see

OP
OP
M

Mearle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so lost I don't even know what to do now monday and Tuesday I have to leave the house because im renting and they finally decide nows a good time to take care of termites that i have been complaining about for months so now I have to break down the tank and move it out so im pretty sure there all going to get ich and die because that's just how things are going for me right now in life my best chances are to put them in the 25g and give them to my lfs as I do my copper treatments cuz I don't what to do also my clowns are showing signs of ich so it's just not the blue hippo and yellow tang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping then putting him back into the tank is just a temporary fix. The parasite drops off and forms what is called a tomont on hard surfaces of the tank. It will then hatch into a theront and latch onto the fish again as a trophont. Ich is so bad in aquarium because each tomont produces many, many theronts. In the wild a fish may have one trophont on it every now and then because the chances of one latching onto a fish in the wide ocean are fewer. In a confined aquarium it becomes like the plague because the fish's natural defense (slime coat) cannot withstand the amount of ich going at it.

Fish need to be quarantined and observed for 6 weeks at a minimum before being put into the tank for this reason.

Hippos are nortorious for ICH.
If you do not have a QT set up, don't freak out the fish and start changing anything. the fish have the capability of getting rid of it themselves. My dumb Hippo comes down with it everytime I do something to my tank she doesn't like. 2 other fish got it this past time, but alas, they are all eating and doing quite fine. They just got rid of it, had it for roughly 2 months.
I'd leave em alone, and feed em well.

That's like saying that a kid is dumb for getting lice from other grimy kids at school. Tangs are weaker against ich because presumably their slime coat is not as strong as other fish's.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not what I was saying, I said HIPPOS were notorious for getting ICH. I've had, and still have quite a few Tangs in my 240g tank, and to this day, my stupid Hippo still gets it. Normally my other Tangs do not get it, nor show any signs of even getting any part of it. My Hippo Tang has had it off and on now for 3 years, never lost a fish to ICH because of her. I still feed em the same. normal everyday operations. Next time she gets it, I'll take pics for you, just to show that this dingbat is the only one in my tank that gets it. And, I haven't added a fish to my tank in over a year. And my latest fish would have been the Mollies, that came from FW, so they didn't bring it with them.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different genus of tangs have different thickness when it comes to their mucous coat. Acanthurus and Paracanthurus are thought to have slime coats that are reduced in composition. This is why you ich on those more often.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back