OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No low level of a trace element will cause a shrimp to die in 24 h. So while you may or may not benefit from dosing, it is not the immediate cause of the shrimp issue.

I cannot answer if dosing will be helpful, but it is worth experimenting with it if you have any corals.
So in theory between feeding various types of seafood and water changes the trace elements should be getting replaced and no need for dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in theory between feeding various types of seafood and water changes the trace elements should be getting replaced and no need for dosing?

There is no perfect answer to that question, which can only be determined, IMO, by trial and error in every aquarium. The fact that some of your trace elements are low by ICP is a suggestion that you may benefit from dosing, but its not an open and shut case for several reasons:

1. It isn't known exactly how much is acceptable
2. Concentration of a trace element is only part of the story. The chemical form it takes in your tank will also play a role, and we cannot evaluate that with the tools reefers have

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed my fish and I am pretty good about changing water. All of my shrimp molt, grow and live about three years, which is a pretty typical lifespan. You will see all kinds of stuff that shrimp need iodine, but they either get it this way or they don't really need that much of it...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back