Need help - water parameters/cloudy water

GenoZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All-
I have been lurking for a while getting great info from the site. I have a fairly new (6 month) 13.5 g fluval reef tank with mostly sps, 4 fish, 2 RFAs and a few inverts. Everything was going great until I checked the water parameters today. These are the parameters in question this morning:

Salinity 35 ppt
Calcium 360
Alk 10
Mag 1050
ph 8.2

My calcium and magnesium are usually much more within the normal range so I decide to add a capful of Seachem Reef Calcium and 2 cups of Kent Marine Tech M magnesium. As the evening has gone on I have noticed that the water is getting cloudier. I just retested the water and got these results

salinity 35 ppt
calcium 340
alk 13
mag 1230
ph 8.4

I am very concerned about the cloudy water and the sudden rise in ph and alk. Will the water clear up or is there something that I should do. BTW, I am also using an ATO with 1/2 tsp. Kalk in 1.25 gallon of water.

THanks!!!

MrNYCeGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you shot up your Alk and MG really quickly, likely too quickly. I’d do a solid 40% water change and try to bring down some of the Alk and Mg. You might get some burn on SPS you have any in the tank. Always better to go super slow when adding Alk and Mg, they can be unforgiving. Also, you might want to look into a doser Jebao makes a great one for like $70 on Amazon, it makes life easier and automated so that you can add small amounts at a time.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back