Need help. What is this?

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen anything like this before. He was fine yesterday.

20210722_195139.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like an injury that has developed bacteria. Although the choice is maracyn 2, I would give it 90 min baths In ruby rally pro which is reef safe also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen anything like this before. He was fine yesterday.

20210722_195139.jpg
Is that a green conger eel? That seems to be a systemic bacterial infection. It isn’t normal for this species to lay on its side like that. If it remains that way, it is likely moribund (dying) and cannot be saved. If the photo was taken with the fish just happening to be that way, but it then swam normally, you might be able to save it by moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with a good antibiotic such as Neoplex.
Jay

OP
OP
P

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a green conger eel? That seems to be a systemic bacterial infection. It isn’t normal for this species to lay on its side like that. If it remains that way, it is likely moribund (dying) and cannot be saved. If the photo was taken with the fish just happening to be that way, but it then swam normally, you might be able to save it by moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with a good antibiotic such as Neoplex.
Jay
He was dead at this point. I noticed him sticking out of his usual cave and looked like he had a full stomach. Then an hour later found him like this. Never seen anything like it before.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was dead at this point. I noticed him sticking out of his usual cave and looked like he had a full stomach. Then an hour later found him like this. Never seen anything like it before.
Since they hide so well, I wonder if the lesion could have developed unseen? Are you sure the "full stomach" was food and not ascites? Primary bacterial infections are rare, but do happen. I doubt that other fish in the tank are at risk, but keep an eye on them of course.

jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%

Back