Need help what to do, if anything?

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, recently I posted a thread in regards to algae ID but was unsuccessful in getting a response, since then my tangs have pretty much cleaned it up except for the coating on the rocks and my conchs have the sand somewhat acceptable.

But now for the last couple of weeks I’ve been dealing with cloudy water. I do 15% WC weekly and past week I did 25% but hasn’t changed. My filter socks I change out every 2nd day and they are pretty nasty.

Is there anything I can do to get through this or is this just part of the painful process of a new startup. My tank has been up since Feb and algae started about a month ago. I did get through the first faze pretty easily then this stuff started and it’s not horrible but I do clean the glass every 2 days and the cloudiness is terrible, although I seen worse.

My parameters are very stable and are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.01
Alk 8.0
Cal 480
Mag 1480

I wasn’t sure if this is just the norm and keep up with cleaning and w/c’s and patience or try carbon. I just would like a little guidance if I could please.
Thank you

IMG_7778.png IMG_7777.jpeg IMG_7776.jpeg

Last edited:

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water typically indicates a bacterial bloom in new tanks. Nuisance algae growth is almost a given in a new tank as well.

I would imagine a couple of days without lights and pausing your water changes will likely help with both.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cloudy water typically indicates a bacterial bloom in new tanks. Nuisance algae growth is almost a given in a new tank as well.

I would imagine a couple of days without lights and pausing your water changes will likely help with both.
Thank you for the reply. I also forgot to upload images but since have done that. Also I dose Microbactor 7.
So no water changes? If you don’t mind why is that a benefit? I would think the opposite

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem for a year then it just went away by itself, idk what I did but I would turn off your light for a week and don’t overfeed your tank for a start.
I haven’t tried turning off the lights but I made the mistake of buying corals before I got through the uglies. Not sure this would be an option at this point due to that fact. I do have my white at 3% and running at 40% intensity atm.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried turning off the lights but I made the mistake of buying corals before I got through the uglies. Not sure this would be an option at this point due to that fact. I do have my white at 3% and running at 40% intensity atm.
You could try a UV filter.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I also forgot to upload images but since have done that. Also I dose Microbactor 7.
So no water changes? If you don’t mind why is that a benefit? I would think the opposite
Bacterial blooms in new tanks are due to the fact that there is no bacteria to begin with, so one type explodes and takes over. Water changes are cleaning the tank. Many will have differing opinions, but IMO 15% weekly on a tank that new is overkill. You don't have enough corals in that tank to need nutrient levels resupplied that frequently.

For reference, my 150 gal is about 8 months old now, I do 20% WC monthly. I also have about 25 frags in that tank and they are all thriving. To each their own, but I think you would benefit at this stage.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial blooms in new tanks are due to the fact that there is no bacteria to begin with, so one type explodes and takes over. Water changes are cleaning the tank. Many will have differing opinions, but IMO 15% weekly on a tank that new is overkill. You don't have enough corals in that tank to need nutrient levels resupplied that frequently.

For reference, my 150 gal is about 8 months old now, I do 20% WC monthly. I also have about 25 frags in that tank and they are all thriving. To each their own, but I think you would benefit at this stage.
Thank you i appreciate the information and insight in regards to the bacteria. I usually do 10% i just upped it to defeat the cloudy water this past week but i still get your point. My parameters don't change much during the week so I get your point.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that you will be experiencing a variety of ugly phases throughout the course of the first year right and sometimes beyond if proper parameters are not maintained?

Bacteria blooms can be toxic and reduce 02. Might want to add an airstone until it clears or increase surface agitation.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that you will be experiencing a variety of ugly phases throughout the course of the first year right and sometimes beyond if proper parameters are not maintained?

Bacteria blooms can be toxic and reduce 02. Might want to add an airstone until it clears or increase surface agitation.
I absolutely do, the point in my asking for help was to see what would be some effective ways to help during these phases, and i do understand about maintaining proper parameters which i have been successful at doing. just trying to figure out what is the best method in helping this inevitable experience along.

Thank you for your advice.

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH i dont even know if its a bacteria bloom or a algae bloom, my tank is well cycled and have tested religiously Nitrite and ammonia both have maintained at 0. I did go through a couple algae phases that have been coming and going and then this started. all my parameters are in check and quite possibly im dealing with algae. is there a definitive way to discern between the two.

Fish are breathing normally and everything otherwise is in check from what i can tell.

Also there is no milky water at all nor any build up on my heaters, return pumps etc, everything looks clear in sump and tank. My socks are greenish brown though daily.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back