Need help with flow in 150 gallon mixed reef

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm in desperate need of flow advice. I have never been good with this subject at all. I setup my 2ft x 4ft x 31in 150 gallon mixed reef 11 months ago and decided to take some youtuber's advice and put two Hydor Koralia 1500s in on opposite ends of the tank facing each other. But I'm not sure if this is sufficient or not. Some have told me this nowhere near enough flow for my size tank and some have said I need wavemakers. I don't know what exactly to do and what would be the best options for my corals.

Thoughts?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked the 1500s up. Look a little skimpy if that’s all you’re using. I wouldn’t ditch them necessarily if they are working, by maybe get a Gyre for (or two, with a single controller) the side wall and use the 1500s elsewhere in the tank; maybe even on the back wall, shooting frontwards.

OP
OP
JIsBusyReefing

JIsBusyReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked the 1500s up. Look a little skimpy if that’s all you’re using. I wouldn’t ditch them necessarily if they are working, by maybe get a Gyre for (or two, with a single controller) the side wall and use the 1500s elsewhere in the tank; maybe even on the back wall, shooting frontwards.

Yah they do a good job overall. I had them for awhile on the side walls (both facing each other on opposite ends then in opposing positions on the side walls) but one of them was seeming to blast the torches on the opposite end with too much direct constant flow. I moved both of them on the back wall at the very top and that definitely creates constant steady flow throughout the tank.

I was thinking of keeping them at the top of the wall in the back and getting something like a Jebao OW-25 wavemaker or two on the side wall and create some waves. The 25s pump out up to 2250GPH, I believe. Think that should be sufficient to add?

Back