Need help with ICH

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen few spots on my tangs but all the fish in the tank are eating like a pig including tangs. No one is getting bullied or showing any signs of stress. Should I be worried or should I raise the temperature to help with ich? My temp is set to 78. I was thinking to raise the temp to 81-82. Please help because I don’t wanna lose my tangs, they eat off of my hands and I’m really attached to them. And NO I don’t have a QT because I don’t have enough room in my apt

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen few spots on my tangs but all the fish in the tank are eating like a pig including tangs. No one is getting bullied or showing any signs of stress. Should I be worried or should I raise the temperature to help with ich? My temp is set to 78. I was thinking to raise the temp to 81-82. Please help because I don’t wanna lose my tangs, they eat off of my hands and I’m really attached to them. And NO I don’t have a QT because I don’t have enough room in my apt
Raising temperature speeds up the life cycle, but will stress your fish. It isn't going to kill the ich. I would leave temperature alone. I would make sure your fish continue to be well fed. Happy, healthy fish will do better.

If its in your display tank and you will not be leaving your display tank fallow then you will always have ich. (it got into mine and I'm in same boat as I can't treat my 180g). Healthy fish can probably shake ich; there are no medications/hospital tanks in the wild. Future introduced new fish or future stressed fish may acquire ich from your display tank ich because now it may always be there.

Especially when there is visible outbreak (like now), help your fish out by doing very frequent sand/bottom cleanings trying to disrupt ich lifecycle. UV can also help, but will not eradicate because only water going thru UV kills those particular ones. Vacuuming bottom & UV are a tag-team way to help manage (but will not solve).

FYI - At least this time its just ich and not velvet... my QT is a 5g Petco setup that lives under my desk when not in use. Going forward, you can probably find a spot of floor or shelf or closet where tiny QT might fit, because a QT when ich (or velvet or .....) is found could be turned into a hospital tank...

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature thing is for freshwater ich.

Is this a reef?
If not, you actually have some options for treatment. Is it's a reef, there's no good options besides riding it out and hoping or catching the fish.

What tangs, and what's the tank size?

OP
OP
taha89

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature thing is for freshwater ich.

Is this a reef?
If not, you actually have some options for treatment. Is it's a reef, there's no good options besides riding it out and hoping or catching the fish.

What tangs, and what's the tank size?
It’s a reef tank. Scopas and whitetail bristletooth in a 90g and all the fish are eating and no one is getting bullied

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about qt unless it gets bad. In my experience, raising the flow will help it have a harder time attaching to the fish. UV works well if you can install it properly.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are eating (a mix of high quality food) and if the water is as pristine as it can be they will be fine and fight it off naturally and you won't have to worry about those fish ever dying from ich in the future. I dont quarantine and havnt for the 35+ years I've been doing this. Now if it's velvet that's a whole different ball game.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has inverts, and you don't want to set up a hospital tank, then there isn't much we can do.

Keep us updated.

OP
OP
taha89

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m feeding them twice a day and I’m sure that the water quality will be poor because of feeding but I don’t want them to die cause both of these tangs will come to me and let me pet them which is a very cool feeling because I had a 6 years old gold nugget clownfish who used to do that with me but unfortunately he’s crossed the rainbow about a year old :S so having that feeling again is amazing. They’re still eating like a pig and actively roaming around. I do soak the food with garlic so I hope that’s helping their immune system. Well I’ll keep you guy updated

OP
OP
taha89

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Both tangs are still eating, happy and healthy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics fuzzy but are you sure you have ich ?
With ich, you can count the dots whereas with velvet, the dots are numerous and looks like the solar system on the body.

OP
OP
taha89

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can count the white spots. But it stopped eating since yesterday I tried few different foods no response as other tank mates are eating like a pig

OP
OP
taha89

taha89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both of my tangs crossed the rainbow a day after another I’m so devastated :S but thanks for all the help

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back