Need help with ideas for rock

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have about 50lb of rock from my display tank. I will be getting a tank anywhere from 125-150gallons I believe. i was wondering what is the most cost effective way of adding the needed rock load to the new tank quickly and without a lot of risks of critters. Also I need to have cheap as possible lol. Also how much would you add. I was thinking maybe 50lb more?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ready to go, zero hitchhikers, and cost effective don't usually mix. If yoy have the time, your best bet may to be buying macro rock and "cycling" is with some seed rock for a few weeks (ammonia source required). If you current tank is 100% hitchhiker free, this will give you cycled/cured rock that is free of unwanted pests!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time, pick out some rock that you like to make the scape you want.
If you need to, glue and acrylic rod, do it.

If it's dry, you can use the tank water and rubble to cure it in a bucket or bin.

If you find the pieces you like live as the lfs , glue and rod it, and give it a bottle of peroxide in the bucket. Wc and put more old tank water back in and let it cure some more

Is this going to be a direct transfer?
What's your time frame like ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order boat rock from the pacific. It is porous, live, and after is is cured will be phosphate free, pest free and ready to contribute to your tank from day one. livestockusa.org is a good place to start - there are others that sell the same rock.

There is no need to pay more for air-freight rock when most of the stuff on it will die in the cure anyway... the structure and being phosphate free is the real gold and the stuff on the outside is fools gold.

Dry, dead or used rock that is bound up with phosphate is no bargain - ask the folks who have used gallons of GFO and a few years of battling hair algae.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had about 1 # per gallon so 50 more sounds good. I got base rock off amazon. 0 chance of hitch hikers with all dead base rock. Just make sure to rinse it very well
+1 You get 2-3 large pieces and some smalls. Nice, clean. Just rinsed it with my powerwasher. Here's a picture of what 2-40lb boxes looked like setup in my tank, with a few pieces leftover.
IMG_0702.JPG
Here's the link on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...1508426388&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+base+rock

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I was looking at the amazon brand looks like it will work. The problem is I only have a few days to set up the tank once I get it and take down the other one b/c I am using equipment from the previous tank...i think i am going to make a build thread so I can just write everything on one thread. be on the look out!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what rock you use. I have less than 100lbs of Pukani in my 220 and not much room for more. But then, I like a minimalist scape too. You need to treat/cure any dead rock you get. No matter the source. In my case I bleached my pukani for a a couple of days, then soaked it in tap water for a couple of days, bathed it in muriatic acid for 15-30 minutes, and soaked in RODI for a couple of more days. Bleach, acid, and baking soda to neutralize the acid cost me maybe $20 while the process cost me a week of my time. It's the way I did it but not the only way. Other's have had great success simply curing it in a rubbermaid and a few weeks to months and water changes to draw out any phosphate.

Do not fool yourself into believing you can take short cuts in this hobby and that includes tossing rock straight in and hoping for the best. No matter the source, treat it like it's full of phosphate until you know otherwise.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I cure it than once fully cured I leave it dry is what I meant to say.
No. It'll dry as die.

Curing is a bit misunder stood in a way. Some encompass the entire process. I.e. Muriatic acid to cycling as the process of curing.

IMO , if you start dry and put them in the cans to begin the cycle,or keep them live) your ahead of the game.

If you buy live rock, clean it , Fw sit it , peroxide , Lanth chloride /gfo etc etc that would also be considered part of a method for a curing process.

Most imo are trying to "Avoid a cycle" , that's scientifically impossible , we're trying to lower the impact of the uglybphse by mitigating the addition of excess nutints , po4 no3 , but also other often considered nutints like silicate.

So depending on the rock you choose and personal preference that will dictate the curing method you chose.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 You get 2-3 large pieces and some smalls. Nice, clean. Just rinsed it with my powerwasher. Here's a picture of what 2-40lb boxes looked like setup in my tank, with a few pieces leftover.
IMG_0702.JPG
Here's the link on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...1508426388&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+base+rock

Won't rinsing it with the power washer add nitrates and phosphates from the tap water, among other sediments? I rinsed rock with a spray jet from the hose once and it never stopped growing algae. Just curious if you think it ok?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't rinsing it with the power washer add nitrates and phosphates from the tap water, among other sediments? I rinsed rock with a spray jet from the hose once and it never stopped growing algae. Just curious if you think it ok?
Briefly power washed the rock. I'm on a very clean rural water well. Rinsed the rock with RODI by dunking it in a bucket. Let it dry in the sun for a few days. Haven't had any abnormal algae growth. Just the usual phases as the tank and rock mature. Cheers!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back