NEED HELP WITH LEATHERS. THEY HAVE NOT OPENED FOR MONTHS :(

Jordan Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a loss here with what's going on with our 3 leather corals. I've had this established tank for years and have experienced the normal closing and regular shedding so I'm familiar with that.

About 3 months ago- I noticed one of the leather corals looking angry and especially pale. After calling my LFS they brushed it off as shedding. A month passed and I was not convinced that I was looking at only shedding. Soon afterwards, my 2 leathers have completely closed up.

After corresponding with BRS they mentioned to run tests and it turned out that our phosphates were at zero. Accordingly, we turned off our reactor and there's been little change. I can see some polyps, but theres been little to no extension.

Can somebody please advise as to what is going on?

CORAL!.jpg

CORAL@.jpg

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two problems that can potentially be the culprit in the closing of your Toadstool.
1) your water flow may not be strong enough for it causing a continued “Groundhog Day” effect where detritus and microalgae growth continue to hinder the opening of the Toadstool polyps. 2) you could have an issue with your LPS corals stinging your Toadstool causing it to become irritated and injured which also will cause the polyps to stay repressed.
Try using a turkey blaster and a soft UNUSED tooth brush to delicately brush off the top of your Toadstool to help it to rid whatever contaminants or irritants might be residing on top of it.

OP
OP
Jordan Stone

Jordan Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have plenty of flow. I'm running an MP10 along with the return pumps-these leathers used to be fully opened. The LPS also are not touching any of them either so that possibility is eliminated as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back