Need help with NOPOX dosing

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we have a 120g tank with sump and we started SLOW dosing NOPOX. Our nitrates were all the way up to 60 about 2 months ago. We started with literally 2ml of nopox, went to 4, then 6 etc until we started to see a drop in nitrates then kept it at the amount, 32ml, until we got to the nitrates we wanted to be at. Now we hover between 2-4 nitrate and I’ve slowly backed off nopox to 21ml. I want to figure out our “maintenance dose” but I’m unsure how to know what that is. Any advice? I’m worried if I keep it at 21ml it will bottom us out.

OP
OP
Reefingmama

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd drop it slowly unless your nutrients bottom out. you could also dose nutrients back if they do bottom out. if one or both, nitrates or phosphate bottom out the bacteria will have nothing to feed on and slowly die off anyway.

OP
OP
Reefingmama

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd drop it slowly unless your nutrients bottom out. you could also dose nutrients back if they do bottom out. if one or both, nitrates or phosphate bottom out the bacteria will have nothing to feed on and slowly die off anyway.
When you say slowly do you mean days or weeks?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drop it based on what the nutrients are doing. If they drop to zero you need to dose them back or decrease nopox. Extra surface movement to keep oxygen levels up.

It's the bacteria dying and depleting oxygen that's causes problems with slowing down the nopox.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we have a 120g tank with sump and we started SLOW dosing NOPOX. Our nitrates were all the way up to 60 about 2 months ago. We started with literally 2ml of nopox, went to 4, then 6 etc until we started to see a drop in nitrates then kept it at the amount, 32ml, until we got to the nitrates we wanted to be at. Now we hover between 2-4 nitrate and I’ve slowly backed off nopox to 21ml. I want to figure out our “maintenance dose” but I’m unsure how to know what that is. Any advice? I’m worried if I keep it at 21ml it will bottom us out.
You could take the empirical approach and slowly reduce the dose, a step once a week, until the nitrate level starts to climb. When it does, boost the dose to the previous level.

Unless you are in a hurry, take couple months to lower the dose to 0 mL. You will discover what your system needs along this journey. The week between step changes will let your system respond to the lower dose AND for you to notice the change in nitrate level and respond.

OP
OP
Reefingmama

Reefingmama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could take the empirical approach and slowly reduce the dose, a step once a week, until the nitrate level starts to climb. When it does, boost the dose to the previous level.

Unless you are in a hurry, take couple months to lower the dose to 0 mL. You will discover what your system needs along this journey. The week between step changes will let your system respond to the lower dose AND for you to notice the change in nitrate level and respond.
I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do. I’m definitely not in a hurry and want stability. I figured I will drop by one or two ml every couple days while testing and see what it does to the parameters. Ideally I would love to be off nopox but I don’t care if we need to use it long term. Whatever is best for the tank. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 75.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.9%
Back