Need help with ph imbalance!

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a situation that has me baffled. I have currently a 29g bio and a 60g cube running. I'm using Red Sea test kits for parameters and everything seems to be in check except my ph is staying stable around 7.8 at night and 7.9 during the day. I have tried using Brightwell alkaline8.3 to bring the ph back, but don't wanna drive my alk sky high either.

If anyone has any thoughts or fixes for this I would appreciate any feedback given. I use Salinity salt by aquavitro and mainly use Brightwell products to supplement.

Thanks
60g 29g

No3 5 No3 2
No2 0.2 No2 0.1
alk 3.2/9.0 alk 3.3/9.2
ca 470 ca 450
mg 1320 mg 1360
po4 0.02 po4 0.04

Dog Boy Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH is influenced by the design of your system and the environment around the tank. If you have adequate flow and still have PH issues it may be due to high CO2 in the area around the tank. Consider increasing air flow in the room the tank is in. Perhaps kalkwasser may help. Some people have reported that they vent their skimmer air intake to the out doors and that helps. Google Randy Holmes Farley PH issues for more info. Actually , almost any aquarium chemistry question can be answered if you google Randy Holmes Farley...LOL

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally after 5yrs of reefing I've never paid attention to chasing PH. As long as it's within the acceptable range there's nothing to worry about. It's only when it falls or raises and stays above or below do I worry. Which has NEVER happened.
Your parameters are fine :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Dave. Don't try to maintain pH with excess buffers. Proper alk and calc will provide all that is necessary for pH. Now, if there is excess carbon dioxide, pH will be driven down. As Dave stated, vent or aerate your tank with fresh air. I'm also in full agreement with this statement:

......... Actually , almost any aquarium chemistry question can be answered if you google Randy Holmes Farley...LOL

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back