Need help with planning for waterbox marine 70.3

Daniel87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I'm looking at getting a waterbox 70.3. My main concern is going to be to find a pump that can handle the head pressure to give me 10-15x flow. The main display is appx 50 gal. So I'm needing about 500-750 gph. Ok that's easy to find a pump that can produce that but here is the kicker. The return line for the waterbox is dn20 which is appx 1/2". So I with conversion fitting I can make it standard atleast up to the bulk heads.

I'm not sure yet as I havent ordered the tank if I can change bulkheads or not. If i can change bulkheads I'm just wondering i could drill the starphire glass out to 3/4 if the room is there.

But for this time being can someone point me in the direction of a controllable return pump that will work?

I'm hesitant about running a reducer but that maybe my only choice. What does everyone think?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally try the reducer out first before drilling a bigger hole, which I would consider a last ditch effort and a risky one at that.

If neither of these solutions turn out to be feasible, you may just have to settle for a lower turnover rate and more power heads in the display tank to make sure detritus and such is well suspended for removal.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank you are looking to get and want the same exact one! This is the 2nd post I've seen where customers are complaining/concerned about the pipe diameter in regards to the amount of water the sump can take in. If this is a concern I'm shocked the company didn't address it early on.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back