Need help with tank plumbing

Joel Franco

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2015
Messages
463
Reaction score
84
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a 1 1/2" dorsal down pipe for the drain reduced down to 1" before the bulkhead. No issues here. I am having issues with the return line. I have the anti siphon hole drilled into the 3/4 elbow and everything works fine but I am getting a siphon at the surface and occasionally bubbles. How can the surface siphon be eliminated?
 
Do you mean a siphon when you turn off the return pump until the hole is at the water line?
 
FWIW, I'm finding my anti-syphon hole to be too small. Sucks air too long, allowing a syphon. It breaks way before it's an issue, so I have not addressed it. Is this what's happening with yours? Could the hole be too small?
 
The surface siphon issue only occurs while the pump is pumping water into the tank. It looks like a mini tornado and once it gets close enough to the outlet pipe and gets blown into bubbles.
 
Oh, well that doesn't sound like a siphon at all, just turbulence. Perhaps you can re-direct the output down a little, away from the surface.
 
How are you guys running your inlet pipe? After the bulkhead going into the sump the pipe is going straight down and creating a lot of noise. How can that be reduced?
 
Hmm. Maybe I am just confused on terms. Or, maybe a picture will help. I may be tripping on the word "inlet".
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446573768.799975.jpg

So typically a siphon break would be in the supply line, above the opening of the supply line. Right?
 
The overflow pipe would be the inlet down to the sump. I have the 1" pipe going straight into the sump and about 3" in the water with no turns.
 
Yes. Exactly. I guess the pump is too strong and it's making pressure siphons on the surface. Can I post a video?
 
Yes. Exactly. I guess the pump is too strong and it's making pressure siphons on the surface. Can I post a video?
Sure. Best to use YouTube or Google, as you have to share a link/URL.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new