Need help with TriSodium mixing

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's has wiped out 80% of my corals after my nitrates and phosphates dropped to zero and they populated over everything...EVERYTHING. I had been raising my nutrients with neophosphate and neonitrate before and after however I've decided to make my own to keep costs down. I have a decent nitrate recipe however I need help with TriSodium phosphate mixture.

I am currently using food grade TriSodium phosphate. I don't have a scale that has the resolution of more than 1 gram so it has been difficult to find any decent instructions. I would like to measure it with measuring spoons to create a solution.

I would like to take my 500ml bottle add x amount of teaspoons and get a solution that when 10ml is dosed it will raise my 125 gallon tank roughly .01 ppm. My first attempt at this was a failure and the phosphates bottomed out again.

Is anyone able to help me please?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a thread that touches the subject.

ReneMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Mix 57ml of Na3PO4 into 1 gal of rodi water. I dont remember exactly how much that raises PO4. I have a 200g system and dose 3ml of the solution daily to keep PO4 around 0.07ppm.

ReneMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a thread that touches the subject.
I read that thread a few months ago and there were mistakes in the math done by the OP. Be careful with it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use this calculator and use the entry for phosphate from potassium phosphate. It will be off a little, but phosphate dosing is trial and error anyway since much of it gets bound to rock and sand.

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrm based on this I actually did it right but I'm not seeing results... I'm not seeing my phosphates raise and my last test reported 0 ppb phosphorous. I'm using a hanna ULR phosphorous colormeter and doing a conversion.

Any suggestions why this is happening? Dino's sucking in all the phosphates? Wrong test kit? Bad test kit? Other?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hrm based on this I actually did it right but I'm not seeing results... I'm not seeing my phosphates raise and my last test reported 0 ppb phosphorous. I'm using a hanna ULR phosphorous colormeter and doing a conversion.

Any suggestions why this is happening? Dino's sucking in all the phosphates? Wrong test kit? Bad test kit? Other?

That is normal.

When it is zero to start, a ton of it can get bound to rock and sand as you try to raise it.

If you believe the test kit, keep dosing about 0.02 ppm per day until you see it detectable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back