Need help with your aquascape?

RedHairyGorilla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting my first reel tank (IM Lagoon 25g). Looking for opinions on my aquascape.

(Yes, I think it’s a dead bird in the last picture lol)

aquascape1.jpg

aquascape2.jpg

aquascape3.jpg

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of those rocks look a bit like bricks, they have very straight countours.

Given the size of the tank I would try to create a single structure with passages for the fish between the rocks.

Try to create diagonal lines instead of perfectly horizontal or vertical. If can find small pieces to put under the rocks you can make the large rocks point a bit up.

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't for the small rock on top of the right structure, both sides would be very similar.

That being said, when corals begin to cover the rocks, the structures will look more different.

Here are a few tips:

- The top rocks are placed horizontally. Try to place them tilted up or down.

- Create passages inside each structure. Most fish will love those small spaces and caves and it also makes watching them going around their businesses more interesting.

- Most of your rocks have similar size. I would break at least one of them in 2. It will make achieving the 1st tip much easier.

- Try to make the rocks fit into each other as seamlessly as you can.

- You also try rotating the structures in a way to prevent the tank from having a straight line of depth. Diagonal lines and bays will create more interest.
Thanks for the tips! They all make a lot of sense! Here is attempt number 2, different style with more openings. Any opinions/critiques?

20190223_212715.jpeg

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my new rescape what do you think. Any help would be perfect and my tank is a standard ten gallon tank

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like it a lot, but the protruding branch seems out of place. Seems it may be more natural from the other shapes if it pointed out toward the left. Or lose it all together. Just my tastes of course. What you like is best.

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it a lot, but the protruding branch seems out of place. Seems it may be more natural from the other shapes if it pointed out toward the left. Or lose it all together. Just my tastes of course. What you like is best.
Yea that's what I was worried about thanks for the advice I think I'll lose the branch altogether

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice what do you think of the rest of it

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is pretty interesting with some nice rock shapes. Good swimming areas too. Maybe a little too symmetrical for my liking. I might rotate the whole shebang 45 degrees and see what it looked like.

EDIT: maybe not though. I would not lean the rock on the side glass.

Star reefer3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would about where the bucket is, maybe. Overall I think it is very interesting. What Ardeus might call a sleeping dragon.
Ok thanks for the help and I'll definetly see what i can do about lifting it and how much do you think I should lift it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back