Need Help

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling with my new reefer 425 for quite some time now.

The tank has been setup since July 2023. I used cycled rock from a brute can and roughly 40 gallons from an existing healthy tank. I used Dr. Tims to help seed the tank and didn't introduce fish until Augustish.

The corals I had to move from my existing system, really never took. I have a toadstool and a hammer or two left, none of which are thriving at all. All receded.

My fish all seem healthy, the issue is something just isn't right, my inverts have mostly all died, my urchin as of today did. He kept jumping off rock structure and landing on his back, like a suicide. I have done an ICP test of both my RO water and tank water, results attached. Nothing of concern. I test the water weekly, no issues. I dose NoPox daily.

I now have algae growing everywhere... I just don't get it. Any ideas / tips would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached one photo from a couple weeks back when the water had a massive haze, dosing the NoPox stopped that, but now the algae, see second photo. PXL_20231226_163412421 (1).jpg PXL_20240201_003802006.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-12-27-255189-ati.lab.results (1).pdf
    98.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2023-12-27-253894-ati.lab.results (1) (3).pdf
    127 KB · Views: 31

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RODI, or just RO? From your ICP, it looks like something is wrong. High metals content amongst other unwanted things.

Additionally, NO3 and PO4 look to be at 0 and 0.04 (which may be 0 now) which is too low. These are both required for coral growth. This also may have caused a Dino outbreak, which caused the invert die off. The photo doesn't scream dinos right away but I would not be surprised.

Do you do water changes - weekly, monthly, etc.? Do you test at all other than this ICP?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's your water coming from?
I make water through my rodi system. My resin is replaced as color changes.

Parameters?
I attached ICP tests mostly all within acceptable range.

Are you using RODI, or just RO? From your ICP, it looks like something is wrong. High metals content amongst other unwanted things.

Additionally, NO3 and PO4 look to be at 0 and 0.04 (which may be 0 now) which is too low. These are both required for coral growth. This also may have caused a Dino outbreak, which caused the invert die off. The photo doesn't scream dinos right away but I would not be surprised.

Do you do water changes - weekly, monthly, etc.? Do you test at all other than this ICP?
I do use rodi for water makeup, I do water changes once a month.

Randy has commented on my ICP tests indicating nothing of concern.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity, in my experience/opinion, is low and your NO3 and PO4 are 0/near 0. I would not call these "within acceptable range" personally, but to each their own! There's obviously an issue with your system and your ICP is indicating issues/suggested remediation, I'd be starting there if it were me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make water through my rodi system. My resin is replaced as color changes.

I attached ICP tests mostly all within acceptable range.

I do use rodi for water makeup, I do water changes once a month.

Randy has commented on my ICP tests indicating nothing of concern.
There's multiple things of concern on your ICP. Salinity, phosphate, nitrates just to name a few. Your powerheads are mounted way to low. What is your tank light par?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's multiple things of concern on your ICP. Salinity, phosphate, nitrates just to name a few. Your powerheads are mounted way to low. What is your tank light par?
Help me understand the benefit of them being higher ? Being lower allows to keep detritus suspended. My salinity has been corrected.

What do you store your RODI in?

You have high tin.
I know PVC pipe sometimes will show high tin because of the way they make it it's a byproduct.
I store in a 55 gallon brute which I've stored rodi water for my other 2 tanks which were fine. Yes Its plumbed with PVC, but it's been the same plumbing for several years now

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me understand the benefit of them being higher ? Being lower allows to keep detritus suspended. My salinity has been corrected.

I store in a 55 gallon brute which I've stored rodi water for my other 2 tanks which were fine. Yes Its plumbed with PVC, but it's been the same plumbing for several years now
Corals need nutrients or they starve to death. Not sure what else needs to be explained there? You have bottomed out nutrients which is one of the primary reasons you have current difficulties with your coral. You need nitrates at 10 to 15 and phosphate at .05 to .1.

As far as your powerheads you don't want them lower in the tank blasting your LPS and soft corals. They like low to moderate flow depending on the coral. I have a similar tank to you but little smaller. I keep my MP40s 3 inches below the surface and they only max out at 28% intensity during the day. I have an SPS dominant mixed reef heavy with LPS too.

You have nice scape in your tank to work with.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals need nutrients or they starve to death. Not sure what else needs to be explained there? You have bottomed out nutrients which is one of the primary reasons you have current difficulties with your coral. You need nitrates at 10 to 15 and phosphate at .05 to .1.

As far as your powerheads you don't want them lower in the tank blasting your LPS and soft corals. They like low to moderate flow depending on the coral. I have a similar tank to you but little smaller. I keep my MP40s 3 inches below the surface and they only max out at 28% intensity during the day. I have an SPS dominant mixed reef heavy with LPS too.

You have nice scape in your tank to work with.
I understand, the nutrient aspect, the nopox being dosed daily should be keeping my nutrients at a healthy level. The bloom of algae is an indicator of either high levels or bottomed out.

I do disagree with the power head comments, as I've seen people have them at every possible location.

I will however say - the nutrient levels are not the reason my inverts are dying.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, the nutrient aspect, the nopox being dosed daily should be keeping my nutrients at a healthy level. The bloom of algae is an indicator of either high levels or bottomed out.

I do disagree with the power head comments, as I've seen people have them at every possible location.

I will however say - the nutrient levels are not the reason my inverts are dying.
Why would you dose nopox when you have 0 nutrients? Nopox is a nutrient reducer. It appears you know quite a bit here so I'm sure everything will work out for you. Good luck.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everyone thinks it's the culprit - I will stop, however, prior to commencing my tank was hazy and brown slime was everywhere, dosing cleared the water haze up and removed the brown slime.

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are having a Dinoflagellate outbreak due to your nutrients hitting/staying at 0, this could cause a mass invert die off. Depending on the Dinos, they can be extremely toxic to inverts and will make them act drunk/fall of rocks, if they eat enough they'll die.

Edit: I just re-read your OP and saw that your inverts were throwing themselves off the rocks like suicide, yeah I'm leaning towards Dinos for sure now.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having a Dinoflagellate outbreak due to your nutrients hitting/staying at 0, this could cause a mass invert die off. Depending on the Dinos, they can be extremely toxic to inverts and will make them act drunk/fall of rocks, if they eat enough they'll die.

Edit: I just re-read your OP and saw that your inverts were throwing themselves off the rocks like suicide, yeah I'm leaning towards Dinos for sure now.
Really only my urchin.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what it's worth... I have stopped the NoPox and my tank has broken out in terrible terrible algae, it's everywhere and way worse than before.

Granted I may agree the NoPox was depleting nutrients, but now it's not remotely controlled.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back