A few mixed questions

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions all different from one another just for reassurance my aiptasia and algae plans can work.

So first off, I have tons of really long brown hair algae I’ve been fighting for many months. I have aiptasia flying all around on the algea even. If I got the specific cherry shrimp to eat those suckers, with all this algae and high flow in my tank can they be just fine and do the job? (Also I know I need a specific cherry shrimp for Aiptasia and they can be a hit or miss)

Second, I’m getting a Hanna magnesium test thingy because I needed a simple way for testing. I heard magnesium can kill algae. I’m planning on getting tons of inverts like snails and crabs and so on. What would be a good ppm for magnesium for my plan? I have no corals anymore because all this Aiptasia and the algae stealing all the nutrients fyi so that’s not a concern.

And lastly, can high magnesium kill fish? I added some magnesium blindly which might have been a bad idea and now my Picasso triggerfish has vanished.

Any help is appreciated. I’m just starting to heavily invest and focus on the tank now. Tank is a 100 gallons if that matters.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried for hours, it grows back the next day. Sometimes I’ll accidentally scrape algae and the Aiptasia spreads more.
just have to keep at it and try to figure out why your getting it back

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a big hassle, I know..I've had GHA for years, still have it just not as much
It sucks, I have so much rock in the tank so it just has so much surface area to grow and it’s like a wildfire. Lights on only 5. Hours a day. I’m assuming it’s phosphates or something. All my other parameters are fine.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks, I have so much rock in the tank so it just has so much surface area to grow and it’s like a wildfire. Lights on only 5. Hours a day. I’m assuming it’s phosphates or something. All my other parameters are fine.
might be a filter issue or it's in the rock itself. I had most of my issues with GHA after I added my coral life rock

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back