Need help

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I’ve had my new tank running almost 5 months now and get my water tested each week am really struggling to get rid of brown algae it’s everywhere every time I blow it off the rocks it’s back within a few hours any ideas on how to permanently get rid of it please this is my reading from this weeks spin test

IMG_5504.jpeg

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like diatoms phosphate is 0.1 and mix all RO and salt in a heated water butt

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common annoyance for newer tanks. Looks like your parameters are good. They will eventually move along. Good tank husbandry and patience are the usual recommendations and all I have ever done. Manual removal can drive you nuts because they come back so fast.

Someone may offer advice for different bacteria that can be introduced to help displace them, but I have never needed to do that.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it best to leave it and let it look gross for a while then I’ve never had it this bad when I first started in my 60L had a little out break but went faster then it turned up but this new tanks had it for about two months nearly.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what am dealing with

Attachments

• IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 61

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks more like a very bad case of cyano. Is there any flow in the tank? Flow will help, nutrient control will help, manual removal helps...

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks more like a very bad case of cyano. Is there any flow in the tank? Flow will help, nutrient control will help, manual removal helps...
Yeah I’ve got the two random flows from the return pump and also a maxspect gyre mjgf2k on random flow there strong flow in the tank it the light that makes it look like cyano it’s definitely brown

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what am dealing with
Can’t tell what you have under blue lights. Can you post a photo with tank under white light?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a third for Cyano. It does not have to be red. I rarely advise folks to add snake oil to their tanks, but this might be a case for ChemiClean. If you go that route, follow all instructions carefully.

White light picture would really help.

OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do as the lights am using are the maxspect jump blue edition so the white not 100% good on them.

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
strixs

strixs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t tell what you have under blue lights. Can you post a photo with tank under white light?
I’ve added a picture with better lighting I’ve got the cyano rx which I’ve used in other tanks and it’s cleared it up just didn’t wanna do it if it was just dinos

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would specifically like to run a fix job on this tank when ready. don't abandon the setup or let the thread die as you try other options before I get a chance to work it remotely, I collect jobs like that above as before and after pic sets and like the work.

there's a certain set of steps we'd do

lower your light levels after we make the clean run, your lighting is a massive driver of that condition, its too much light for those conditions, along with allowance and just the right nutrient/import happenstance.

species ID does not factor whatsoever in you having a clean tank after we work it. nor does your reef tank params. the pic shows what's needed to restore the tank

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back