Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, only reef salt.

You could bump up the temp in your house. You want to aim for around 78f.

As far as moving the coral that would be possible if you had some place to move them to. At this point correcting your parameters and getting them set and stable is the important thing.

I don't know where you are located, but finding a local marine aquarium society where you can network and ask questions and learn from other marine tank keepers would be a good idea. You can look for a close club here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/local-reef-club-discussion.516/ I would also suggest looking around at the online forums or picking up a book or two. Don't get discouraged and ask questions when you have them.

I am CERTIANLY not a quitter we all make mistakes when starting out and learning! As long as we learn from those mistakes it's a good thing!! Got a heater and temp is set at 78* We replaced 18 gals of the tank with 18gals of new saltwater with a salinity level of 1.050 and our salinity level in tank is now still only at 1.020. Was at 1.015. Got an ammonia test kit and it's between 0 and 0.25. Still have to get the salinity up so will do another saltwater add tonight I guess We will get there

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First your salinity is low and the only safe way 2 raise is to do this slowly. I would make a batch of fresh salt with the salinity at 1.030 roughly and change out 20-30 gallons a day, but before making new the next day check your salinity. Over a weeks time this will raise that and not shock what else you have. Corals like a higher salinity and while this may not be the full issue I bet it is some of it.

Did you buy new sand or reuse the old? If old then it may have very well have stirred up some nasty stuff from moving it.

I am CERTIANLY not a quitter we all make mistakes when starting out and learning! As long as we learn from those mistakes it's a good thing!! Got a heater and temp is set at 78* We replaced 18 gals of the tank with 18gals of new saltwater with a salinity level of 1.050 and our salinity level in tank is now still only at 1.020. Was at 1.015. Got an ammonia test kit and it's between 0 and 0.25. Still have to get the salinity up so will do another saltwater add tonight I guess We will get there

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you calibrated your refractometer?

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are going to ask you what the temp of the tank is. What your Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Phosphate levels are. If your tank was fully stocked with a bunch of delicate fish and corals and anemones I would agree with trying to slowly change your parameters. I personally would try to get my coral into proper conditions as fast as possible.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested tap water with it and it read0.000
Great! You have such a huge water volume that you should consider draining some tank water, adding salt to it, and putting it back in your tank.

Until you get a Nitrate test kit (not sure if you have yet) you won't know if you need to do water changes so really no reason to toss the tank water.

You need the ammonia and nitrite to cycle the tank. Your cycle should go quickly since you reused the live rock.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of salt all over the place from the pictures I have seen. I would clean up that entire sump area. Start monitoring the salinity and bring that up to 1.025 as suggested. Watch your temperatures. Buy test kits to test the 9 parameters that are important in a salt water tank. Make sure your well water is by either buying a RO/DI unit buying a declorinator ( such as prime) Do water changes (up to 30%) to help bring the salinity level and general cleanliness of the water clean clean and clean

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! You have such a huge water volume that you should consider draining some tank water, adding salt to it, and putting it back in your tank.

Until you get a Nitrate test kit (not sure if you have yet) you won't know if you need to do water changes so really no reason to toss the tank water.

You need the ammonia and nitrite to cycle the tank. Your cycle should go quickly since you reused the live rock.

So instead of REPLACING water just take saltwater out ADD SALT to THAT existing water and put it back in is that correct?

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take those out then as they're not what you want.

Ok that's what they had in there so we were just keeping their set up like it was since it worked for them and she had a job at a saltwater fish store. What should we have in the sump instead?

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on your way. What brand of salt are you using? Keep an eye on your temp for a little while. Heaters will take a little while to dial in and their themostats usually aren't all that accurate. Also how do you acclimate. Corals are pretty sensitive to change. I usually drip acclimate and it takes about 2 hours. I also dip all corals in a good dip (coral RX or something of that sort). There is also a question of Quarantining new arrivals (especially fish). Something to look into as you get more livestock. Your tank probably went through a little mini cycle, that's why you read a little bit of ammonia. Since you used all live rock, sand and original water it should sort itself out pretty quick but keep an eye on it. Its not a bad idea to keep a bottle of bacteria in a bottle around just in case the ammonia doesn't come down. You don't want it going over that .25 mark and idealy you always want it at 0. Keep your feeding to a minimum at this point. Only add what your fish will eat, don't let any free float, so add a little , wait till they eat it, then add a little more. Do this for about 2 min then stop. During this slow time of the tank, its good research time. What kind of livestock are you wanting. Research the needs and compatibility of different species. Lighting and flow requirements, can the fish live together, will they eat the coral (nip at them). Start thinking about a clean up crew (CUC). That's should be the next thing you add. But research first because even the CUC insn't compatible with everything. For example, if you plan on having clams certain shrimp and crabs cant go in. There is so much to learn and its exciting, but take it slow and learn all you can.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what they had in there so we were just keeping their set up like it was since it worked for them and she had a job at a saltwater fish store. What should we have in the sump instead?
Your pads like you have, filter socks if desired, heater, and your skimmer for now. You can get more fancy later on by adding an ATO and other stuff. But for now I would keep it simple.

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are on your way. What brand of salt are you using? Keep an eye on your temp for a little while. Heaters will take a little while to dial in and their themostats usually aren't all that accurate. Also how do you acclimate. Corals are pretty sensitive to change. I usually drip acclimate and it takes about 2 hours. I also dip all corals in a good dip (coral RX or something of that sort). There is also a question of Quarantining new arrivals (especially fish). Something to look into as you get more livestock. Your tank probably went through a little mini cycle, that's why you read a little bit of ammonia. Since you used all live rock, sand and original water it should sort itself out pretty quick but keep an eye on it. Its not a bad idea to keep a bottle of bacteria in a bottle around just in case the ammonia doesn't come down. You don't want it going over that .25 mark and idealy you always want it at 0. Keep your feeding to a minimum at this point. Only add what your fish will eat, don't let any free float, so add a little , wait till they eat it, then add a little more. Do this for about 2 min then stop. During this slow time of the tank, its good research time. What kind of livestock are you wanting. Research the needs and compatibility of different species. Lighting and flow requirements, can the fish live together, will they eat the coral (nip at them). Start thinking about a clean up crew (CUC). That's should be the next thing you add. But research first because even the CUC insn't compatible with everything. For example, if you plan on having clams certain shrimp and crabs cant go in. There is so much to learn and its exciting, but take it slow and learn all you can.

As of right now ONLY the mollies(3) are in there. We aren't going to do fish anytime soon. Reading up on them and checking them out. Their care, what can go with what etc. as u suggested. U fortunately didn't do any kind of introduction I guess with these corals before putting them in. That was our somewhat first mistake I guess. Don't think the corals made it think we r prob just gonna stick to fake coral for the time being until we've learned more!!!! Don't wanna kill anything else!!!!! We will be buying all kinds of testing supplies and other supplies we need on the 20th which is kinda our play money payday! We are talking about an emerald crab as our first livestock purchase. Kinda wanting the fish from the movie nemo (the clown fish) the fish that was named Dory and some diff colors of damsels

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pads like you have, filter socks if desired, heater, and your skimmer for now. You can get more fancy later on by adding an ATO and other stuff. But for now I would keep it simple.

A heater and skimmer in the sump? Forgive my ignorance cause in our research those far we haven't heard of filter socks and what's an ATO??? Sorry we ARE reading and researching but we ARE just learning

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now ONLY the mollies(3) are in there. We aren't going to do fish anytime soon. Reading up on them and checking them out. Their care, what can go with what etc. as u suggested. U fortunately didn't do any kind of introduction I guess with these corals before putting them in. That was our somewhat first mistake I guess. Don't think the corals made it think we r prob just gonna stick to fake coral for the time being until we've learned more!!!! Don't wanna kill anything else!!!!! We will be buying all kinds of testing supplies and other supplies we need on the 20th which is kinda our play money payday! We are talking about an emerald crab as our first livestock purchase. Kinda wanting the fish from the movie nemo (the clown fish) the fish that was named Dory and some diff colors of damsels
Get some hermits or snails before the emerald, as they do more for ya and are a bit cheaper. If you do a blue tang that needs to probably be added last. I would look into fairy and flasher wrasses if I was you, they're active, colorful, and have lots of personality.

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What little salt she had left and gave us was reef crystals but we bought the instant ocean brand when we bought ours last night.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heater and skimmer in the sump? Forgive my ignorance cause in our research those far we haven't heard of filter socks and what's an ATO??? Sorry we ARE reading and researching but we ARE just learning
Filter socks filter out bigger particles, I added mine about 6 months after setting up and wouldn't do without now. ATO is automatic top off, instead of needing to top off manually this neat piece of equipment does it for you and helps keep your tanks salinity more stable by adding freshwater when needed.

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some hermits or snails before the emerald, as they do more for ya and are a bit cheaper. If you do a blue tang that needs to probably be added last. I would look into fairy and flasher wrasses if I was you, they're active, colorful, and have lots of personality.

Ok we were looking at the emerald because it's an algae eatter and we can get one of them at the saltwater store in the next town over for $8.00 a piece. How many algae eatters would you suggest for our tank? 150 gal? I know it depends on how much algae there is like our freshwater tank but just curious what a typical good number of them would be

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back