Need help

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cycled 125g tank which has been fighting Ich the past week or so. The water was starting to get cloudy .. so I tested everything was good as far as the numbers ammonia 0 nitrites 0 ph 8.0 and nitrates were at around 5-10... ok fast forward to 3 days ago..
Water getting more cloudy.. checked water and this is what I’m working with.

ammonia : 1.0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrates: 10
Checked the entire tank thinking maybe a fish has died.. nope not one fish was dead.. put some prime in and did about a 45g w/c re-dosed with prime

I just checked today the water.. and it got HIGHER.

ammonia 2ppm
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate 10pm

whatttt do I do?? I have the below fish in the tank

1x niger trigger
1x Kole tang
1x powder blue
1x foxface
1x hippo
Yellow watchman
Lawnmower blenny
Pink chromis
6 line wrasse

I’m mindblown at what is happening right now.. need help

22A6979C-3E94-4B9D-8911-1B1B1524A6F9.jpeg

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep changing the water until you find the cause. Do you have filter or part that could be holding detritus? good luck.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suspicious of your tests. You need a better test kit or if you have a good lfs maybe they can test your water. Water changes won't hurt but I just don't believe those numbers

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish acting? Are they eating ok? Can you describe the cloudy water?

OP
OP
S

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Any new additions?
All of the fish got brought in at once about 2 weeks ago. Noticed a few spots on the trigger then I started treating the tank. Tank is fairly new prob 2-3 months.. I’m wondering if I crashed the cycle some how... and it’s re cycling. All fish seem fine eating etc..

OP
OP
S

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep changing the water until you find the cause. Do you have filter or part that could be holding detritus? good luck.
Possibly. I’m building a sump to go under the tank now. So for right now I’m using canister ( on this tank ) I can clean it I just don’t want to kill what’s left of the good bacteria..

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is eating like norm. Swimming like normal. No sign of stress.. except the ammonia badge is showing green .. I have attached a picture of the tank

image.jpg
So just to clarify you did an ammonia api test (which are known to show false positives) and have an ammonia badge and they're both showing ammonia?

As for the cloudy water I bet a uv sterilizer will clear it up

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish got brought in at once about 2 weeks ago. Noticed a few spots on the trigger then I started treating the tank. Tank is fairly new prob 2-3 months.. I’m wondering if I crashed the cycle some how... and it’s re cycling. All fish seem fine eating etc..
Adding alot of fish at once in a newer tank will always be too much for your beneficial bacteria. Slower additions are better.

OP
OP
S

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just to clarify you did an ammonia api test (which are known to show false positives) and have an ammonia badge and they're both showing ammonia?

As for the cloudy water I bet a uv sterilizer will clear it up
Yes here is a picture of the ammonia badge.. I have a uv in the tank been running it for about 2 days now and nothing has happened.. but I also think I might need to get a new bulb ..

94550F56-3E10-4982-BC12-0A576A19A8F8.jpeg

OP
OP
S

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding alot of fish at once in a newer tank will always be too much for your beneficial bacteria. Slower additions are better.
Lesson definitely learned! Lol I added some turbo start 900 last night but nothing has changed.. not sure if I should do water change ( just don’t want to stall anything) or just let it ride out and pray for the best at this point ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Im guessing newer tank with a heavy bioload as it appears was stocked quickly.

Is that Black sand or Aquarium gravel?
What test kit(s) are you using and are you running carbon? Carbon will help polish water to clear
Also what is temperature and salinity of tank?
CHART BELOW SHOULD BE OF HELP FOR YOU. REFER TO UPPER HALF OF CHART.

Parameters.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there were no fish in there then I would say just wait it out but with the fish your gonna want to take action. I would do some LARGE water changes and like vetteguy said carbon is a good idea

OP
OP
S

soggywaffles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing newer tank with a heavy bioload as it appears was stocked quickly.

Is that Black sand or Aquarium gravel?
What test kit(s) are you using and are you running carbon? Carbon will help polish water to clear
Also what is temperature and salinity of tank?
CHART BELOW SHOULD BE OF HELP FOR YOU. REFER TO UPPER HALF OF CHART.

Parameters.png
It’s black sand my temp and salinity are below. I can’t run carbon right now because I’m treating the tank for Ich.. dumb mistake on my part I know..

temp: 81.6
Salinity 1.026
Copper is 1.9 with Hanna checker
I’m using api test kit right now

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely clean your canister filter by rinsing it with some old tank water. You need to be cleaning it at least weekly until you get better filtration. As mentioned API test kits are know to be inaccurate when it comes to ammonia. That said the badges are not. I suspect you increased your bio load to quickly and or your tank was not fully cycled. I would try to get more fully cycled live rock to add to your tank.
Do you fish show signs of tattered or rotted fins? This would be a sign of ammonia damage. Ammonia is toxic to fish and may be adding to their stress contributing to the ICH out break.

jRatanak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I second this; it doesn't allow for the bacterial population to grow/keep up with the extra ammonia production. Definitely keep up with water changes until you see things go back to normal. The addition of turbo start will help for sure! Good luck homie.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I'll just mention that prime mixed with some copper products becomes very toxic to fish. But you said your fish are fine so that shouldn't be a concern

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s black sand my temp and salinity are below. I can’t run carbon right now because I’m treating the tank for Ich.. dumb mistake on my part I know..

temp: 81.6
Salinity 1.026
Copper is 1.9 with Hanna checker
I’m using api test kit right now
Canisters are known Nitrate factories. They have to be serviced frequently for a saltwater tank as they only offer mechanical (little chemical) filtration. API test kits are less than accurate in many cases, and your temperature is about 3-4 degrees too warm supporting any bacterial blooms.
Bring salt down SLOWLY to 1.025 and assure there is adequate oxygen in tank.
AGE OF TANK ??

I would recommend with use of API kits to grab a good water sample and take to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to see what readings they come up with and to compare to yours.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back