Need New Powerheads

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy everyone, the last of my ancient Koralia pumps died some time last week, so I need to suck it up and get some new powerheads for my reef. I've been pretty disconnected from the reef community for a while now since starting college, but I'm doing everything I can to keep my tank running (system is going on 7 years now). I have a 65 gallon reef that I'm determined to get back to its glory, not a whole lot of corals but still have some softies and a few lps pieces that survived a crash I had a year or so back. I'm looking to get a powerhead or 2 that can move a decent amount of water, enough to keep easy sps in the future like monti caps and birdsnest. I don't know what pumps are on the market right now, so I wanted to know if any of you have suggestions of what route to go down? I can't spend a lot of money right now since I have to buy textbooks in a 2 weeks-would jebaos be a good route to go down, or even a used mp10? Any input would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Noah

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the gold standard as far as powerheads would be either Gyre or the Ecotech MP series. However, you said your Korilia pump was "ancient," why not go back to that?

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a gyre or MP pump, I would just need to buy used. The Korallia I had was over a decade old. I was told by my one buddy that they switched their motor and they aren't as good anymore, I don't know if that's true or not though. They certainly are a lot more affordable than some other options

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two jaebos (rw8 & pp15), pp was just the newer name, but basically the same as rw. My rw8 is still going after 3 years, but my pp15 died shortly after a year. So, reliability isn't always there with them.

I'm now using my older evolution koralia powerheads. I'm just not putting them on a wavemaker. The switching on & off kept making them break the tab on the cover and then they sometimes spin backwards. Thry have been a very reliable powrrhead this way. Just dont have the ability to rampnup and down.

I believe the newest koralia 3rd generation didn't get good reviews, so that's proably what your buddy is referring to.

tsasserii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (2) mp10's I'm looking to sell for a good price. ( haven't commented or contributed enough to list items for sale on here yet.) pm me if your interested

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two koralias in my tank on a wavemaker. Work great.

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had looked at the rw series, I know they can be hot or miss. Are the old Evolution korallias still available anywhere?

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check ebay or amazon. Maybe Drs foster & smith.

OP
OP
Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a little too pricey for me unless I buy used.

I've found an ebay retailer selling 2 jebao rw8/pp8 for $120 that is more in my price range? Do you guys thing this is a good option, or should I opt out for a more reliable pump?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back