Gph powerheads 75g soft coral reef.

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys! Just upgraded to a 75g and need powerhead advice. I'm running two tidal 75s and have two koralia 750gph powerheads. What should I add? Budget isn't huge but I don't want to skimp. Soft corals only. Thanks for the help :D

OP
OP
C

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I'm dumb, I gotcha. Was going to put one in opposing corners pointed at each other and two pushing water across the front and back at the bottom to avoid dead spots. Never had a salt bigger than 40g

Last edited:

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I'm dumb, I gotcha. Was going to put one in opposing corners pointed at each other and two pushing water across the front and back at the bottom to avoid dead spots. Never had a salt bigger than 40g
I feel like the GPH requirements aren't the same as before since powerheads like Vortec and the like push very diffuse flow while the GPH is high.

I had the same issue going from a 50gal to a 150, and so I went overkill knowing I could lower flow, but the idea is to have a diffuse flow that won't hurt a coral if it's in the way. My two MP40s don't go above 55% on a 5ft tank and it barely reaches the other side, but it enough to create turbulent flow on my SPS corals, while the left side has lower flow for LPS/Softies (it's a closed loop from a Vectra)

I set my powerheads up where I thought they should be and let the tank cycle..... and when the algae stage hit, I observed if the long strings of hair algae were "dancing" in the flow or are being "thrashed" by it. Then, when I added corals after some adjustments and viewed their behavior in the flow. I had to change things around until my hammer liked it, but it's a process.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back