Need Recommendation for quiet air pump for Phyto culture

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit culturing Phyto and pods because I couldn’t stand the constant loud hum of the “tetra whisper” air pump - it was louder than my whole 120 gallon aquarium. Plus the air tube kept popping off at least once or twice a day and the whole thing got to be so annoying.

I tried putting the pump inside a box, but it was still noisy and then plus I had to keep opening the box to find the tube had popped off, put the tube back on, putting it back in the box, etc etc

How do you do it? What pump do you use? Was I using the wrong kind of air hose and fittings? (all the fittings would come apart pretty regularly, I tried duct taping everything together but it still popped apart everywhere)

here is the loud pump - I bought the 20 - 40 and had it split between 1 half gallon jug of Phyto, 3 half gallon jugs of pods

and here are the tubes and fittings I tried -

Any other recommendations would be really appreciated

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i found using a zip tie for the pump - line connection to work for it to stop popping off. i am actually wanting to get a quieter pump as well. i use the air pump in my skimmer chamber to stir up detritus since it collects there the most..

i hope you get some answers!

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the same airpump, and also Eheim 200 and 400 airpumps. I can't say any one is quieter than the others. I've also used the exact tubing kit (from amazon), plus bulk tubing purchases from BRS.

If you're having problems with tubing coming off pump and accessory fittings, something is wrong. Did you apply any grease, (or any greasy fingers?). You're not supposed to. I'd re-do all to tubing-to-fitting connections. Pull off, wipe fittings clean with rubbing alcohol and fresh paper towels, make them squeekly clean. I apply tubing by either just pushing on with a little water, or if too tight, heat tubing end in a glass of hot water. It should go on, and basically stick. I've reinforced some of mine by putting the smallest ziptie I own over the tubing/fitting, pull tight, cut off. But I don't need this on my phyto grow systems.

For noise, if your current airpump is too loud... Drill a hole through the wall, stick airtubing through, and keep the pump in another room/another space. But first you have to solve the tubing pop-off problems.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried probably half a dozen different pumps for the and the aqua lifter is the quietest. *Edit, the trick is to use a small air valve on the inlet. You can dial down the hum and noise very very significantly

OP
OP
mosreef

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the great advice. Will move the offending pump into the garage, and try buying some different tubing. The one I was using is more opaque with a rubbery texture instead of the regular clear air line you buy at petco or Walmart.

also will try zip ties - great thought, thank you

BrandoNy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 28

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back