Return Pump recommendations for a 8.5x6.5" compartment

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my other tanks I've had more space and have been using Jebao DCP sine pumps with zero complaints. However, I'm taking over a 92g corner and the space is limited. I'm trying to replace the sump and the one I've leaned towards has a return compartment that is 8.5x6.5". Those Jebao DCP pumps are massive and will not fit into this sump configuration. Any recommendations on quiet, preferably adjustable, return pumps that can fit that footprint? My guess is it would be 5ft head at most and would like somewhere around 500-700gph with that factored in. I'm guessing this will be through tubing rather than PVC and would likely be plumbed through a UV (likely a Lifeguard Pro Max 3" 55w).

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about having a look at the AI Axis return pumps? :) The foot print is very small and they have great controllability! Quite a versatile little thing..

1707652828030.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best return pump!
Good one for sure! :) For tight spaces, this is a good option.

I am of the opinion that there is no "best" return pump - there is however one that is best for you! :)

Right tool for the right job..

I use the Reef Octopus VarioS pumps. They are "best for me" as they do a solid job, works well with my Apex (without an add-on MXM!) and is reasonably cheap. Compromise!

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe

Did you see any literature on the minimum water depth? The axis 90 would just do it based on the gph upper range. It's ~8 inches tall. I'd wager the water depth would be between 7-9 inches based on most sumps i've looked at to accommodate the recommended level for skimming. I'm assuming from the BRS quick vid it pulls from the bottom but just wasn't sure what the minimum level is; IE does the entire thing need to be submerged and that could be a problem.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CasperOe

Did you see any literature on the minimum water depth? The axis 90 would just do it based on the gph upper range. It's ~8 inches tall. I'd wager the water depth would be between 7-9 inches based on most sumps i've looked at to accommodate the recommended level for skimming. I'm assuming from the BRS quick vid it pulls from the bottom but just wasn't sure what the minimum level is; IE does the entire thing need to be submerged and that could be a problem.
I haven't no - but given the intake is at the bottom, you can go very, very low indeed on water level before you start to have any issues.

Although I do not know 100%, then I'd say the full thing does not need to be submerged for it to work as intended! :)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Sicce Syncra Silent pumps. The 4.0 or 5.0 would work well for a 90-ish gallon. They are quite compact as well.
Good choice as well! :) Maybe even better considering the form factor of one of them..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back