• Total voters

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I'm curious about any advantages vs disadvantages, if I decide to use dry sand to start my tank with dry rock? (I will be using real reef rock)

would it make a big difference going with dry sand over the live sand since my rock is dry?

I'm Looking to do a mix of the Eden Reef flakes. I can get both dry and live sands. Would a mix of dry and live also be something to think about?

I've always used live sand and live rock to start my tanks. I just don't want to deprive my tank of good bacteria etc.. that I'm already loosing with the real reef rock.

does anyone know if these rocks come with bacteria on them?

was planning on using Dr.Tim's all in one if I went with dry sand and rock. would I use this if I get live sand also?

hopefully you Reefers can help me make my mind up.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Packaged "live" sand contains bacteria only - I'm not sure it has anything that you wouldn't find in a bottle of Dr. Tim's One-and-Only. (Truly live sand, scooped from the bottom of the sea, is a whole other story!)

I used the packaged sand for my current build, but primarily because the price between "live" and dry was just about a wash.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Packaged "live" sand contains bacteria only - I'm not sure it has anything that you wouldn't find in a bottle of Dr. Tim's One-and-Only. (Truly live sand, scooped from the bottom of the sea, is a whole other story!)

I used the packaged sand for my current build, but primarily because the price between "live" and dry was just about a wash.

~Bruce
Thanks! seems live sand would be a more beneficial route since I'm not using live rock.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! seems live sand would be a more beneficial route since I'm not using live rock.

When I checked before, "live" sand seemed more expensive. Bacteria you will get naturally, even with dry sand. You might go through the nitrate cycle a little faster but even that isn't for sure. Save your money and buy dry sand and spend a week or two going through the nitrogen cycle.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vanpire's got a point . . . most folks don't see much benefit to "live" sand. (In my case, a local shop was closing, so I got a deal on sand.)

I also dosed several varieties of bottled bacteria, and am transferring year-old liverock over from my previous system. <shrugs>

Hoping I've got it covered - and that you do, as well!

~Bruce, who would _love_ to order up a bunch of liverock from the Sunshine State, as well . . .

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I checked before, "live" sand seemed more expensive. Bacteria you will get naturally, even with dry sand. You might go through the nitrate cycle a little faster but even that isn't for sure. Save your money and buy dry sand and spend a week or two going through the nitrogen cycle.
Its funny actually the live Reef Flakes are cheaper then the dry right now on premiumaquatics.com

quick edit: price is for 20lbs vs 30lbs sorry

Vanpire's got a point . . . most folks don't see much benefit to "live" sand. (In my case, a local shop was closing, so I got a deal on sand.)

I also dosed several varieties of bottled bacteria, and am transferring year-old liverock over from my previous system. <shrugs>

Hoping I've got it covered - and that you do, as well!

~Bruce, who would _love_ to order up a bunch of liverock from the Sunshine State, as well . . .
I will be transferring over coral which Is attached to some rocks, but I don't think that will do much.

did you happen to use Dr.tims or another brand?

I'm hoping to save a lot of pods and such from my giant ball of chaeto/caluerpa in my sump. would wait till end of cycle though.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those rocks will hold seed colonies of the bacteria you need - but you don't want the corals in there during the cycle!

I think I used almost everything _but_ Dr. Tim's. Bio-Spira, Microbe-Lift, a couple of bottles from Two Little Fishies . . . Dr. Tim (who also created Bio-Spira) has a great reputation, though.

~Bruce

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry rock and sand will both take time to cure. IMO
Even though it may be cycled or cyclling it's not truly cured.

I added dry sand and live rock and still had problembs for a month. So I wouldn't look forward to a quick transfer that way.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry rock and sand will both take time to cure. IMO
Even though it may be cycled or cyclling it's not truly cured.

I added dry sand and live rock and still had problembs for a month. So I wouldn't look forward to a quick transfer that way.
This is basically the root of my concern. I am willing to be patient and let it take its course.

Do you have any tips to make sure the cycle and curing occurs?

I will be doing the dry sand and dry rock route.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically the root of my concern. I am willing to be patient and let it take its course.

Do you have any tips to make sure the cycle and curing occurs?

I will be doing the dry sand and dry rock route.
Its really easy. Leave the sand and rock in the tank for a lot longer before adding fish and lights or leave it in a bucket or container. Cycle like any other tank and add some food source.

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really easy. Leave the sand and rock in the tank for a lot longer before adding fish and lights or leave it in a bucket or container. Cycle like any other tank and add some food source.
do you think I should go with the bottled ammonia/bacteria? or would some pellet or mysis do the trick.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think I should go with the bottled ammonia/bacteria? or would some pellet or mysis do the trick.
either works. or both. depending on how long you plan to "cook" the rock. the shrimp / food method will last longer as an ammoina source. imo

OP
OP
Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to let them cook for atleast the full 30 days. Then add some of my exsisting rock And possibly the first additions if I'm lucky.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself personally, Im not afraid to add nutrients to curing rock.

Back