Need some advice on Torch

  • Thread starter Thread starter pnda
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pnda

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2026
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

I’m very new to this hobby and need some advice.

I got a Torch at the recommendation of my local store as an “easy” coral to keep and after purchase and doing research I found out they can be temperamental.

Everything has gone well and most seem happy except the Torch and thus why I’m concerned.

I’ve had him already a month and I’m not too sure if he looks healthy on the right side or if that is normal while they acclimate.

Here is my setup and current water parameters and a video of how he looks.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance!

Fluval Evo 13.5 with stock light and additional wavemaker

Livestock:
2 x clownfish
1 x Citron Goby
2 x emerald crab
2 x blue legged hermit
4 x nassarius snail
2 x candy cane
1 x GSP
1x torch
1 x jack o’lanter leptoseris
1 x ? its the darker oner with white dots.. anyone know? (pic with Candy & Goby)



20261001_111732_1B71C39A-84A2-4EEA-A636-1E755D372A08.png





20261001_111223_3066A3D9-7A38-4478-AAF3-881E797094BB.png


tempImageq4bmbK.png

tempImageenBR2N.png

tempImagewHuSDH.png

tempImage2MdQSk.png

tempImaged0LhXf.png
 
Last edited:
Torch is not a beginner coral, I would say it is intermediary. It is getting too much flow. I'm not sure it is a torch it looks more like frogspawn to me.
 
Reduce the flow, and let it recover.
 
Torch is not a beginner coral, I would say it is intermediary. It is getting too much flow. I'm not sure it is a torch it looks more like frogspawn to me.
Cheers @Mr. Mojo Rising! ... I kinda had same feeling when got home and did some research but since its so small and hasn't fully extended I wasn't quite sure how to identify it. it's great to get some confirmation on it!
 
Hey Mate- thanks for posting such a thorough post to avoid some of the follow up questions to rule out questions like parameters and such. A couple of things that I notice are:
1. Your flow is way too high. The right hand head in your video is absolutely taking a beating and retracting, at least in part, because of it. Try reducing flow or moving it to a different part of your tank to start. I will attach a video from my tank to give you an idea of what "high flow" should look like if thats what you're going to go for, and torches don't even need high flow to thrive.
2. You actually don't have a torch coral there- you have what looks to be a struggling spawn LPS...I'm going to say it's a frogspawn...maybe a frammer (Frammer=Frogspawn+Hammer morph) Not the end of the world as their care ultimately isn't that much different than torches.

My recommendation would be to lower it in your tank for the time being, get it out of the flow that it's in, and monitor it throughout the day. Its going to be angry for a bit, but lets start there and have you check back in
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4967.mov
    7.3 MB
Hey Mate- thanks for posting such a thorough post to avoid some of the follow up questions to rule out questions like parameters and such. A couple of things that I notice are:
1. Your flow is way too high. The right hand head in your video is absolutely taking a beating and retracting, at least in part, because of it. Try reducing flow or moving it to a different part of your tank to start. I will attach a video from my tank to give you an idea of what "high flow" should look like if thats what you're going to go for, and torches don't even need high flow to thrive.
2. You actually don't have a torch coral there- you have what looks to be a struggling spawn LPS...I'm going to say it's a frogspawn...maybe a frammer (Frammer=Frogspawn+Hammer morph) Not the end of the world as their care ultimately isn't that much different than torches.

My recommendation would be to lower it in your tank for the time being, get it out of the flow that it's in, and monitor it throughout the day. Its going to be angry for a bit, but lets start there and have you check back in
@zmanjr11 Thank you very much! I've gone ahead and taken out the wavemaker and its at the lower half of the tank... I initially had it on the sand itself on bottom left at first but moved it about 2 weeks ago to where it is now.... if after another week doesnt look better I'll prolly move it back to the bottom left on sand again because another stressor could possibly be the 2 clownfish which have taken ownership of that front right corner of the tank LOL ... Thanks again!



tempImage4Yepfw.png
 
@zmanjr11 Thank you very much! I've gone ahead and taken out the wavemaker and its at the lower half of the tank... I initially had it on the sand itself on bottom left at first but moved it about 2 weeks ago to where it is now.... if after another week doesnt look better I'll prolly move it back to the bottom left on sand again because another stressor could possibly be the 2 clownfish which have taken ownership of that front right corner of the tank LOL ... Thanks again!



tempImage4Yepfw.png
Of course mate! Beautiful little tank that you have there! It looks like there is already some coraline growth on your back wall there, which is the sign of a mature tank, so good on you for waiting! Clowns typically wouldn't bother it much unless they try to host it, which isn't "normal" but I've come to just accept that clowns don't care about "normal" 😂

All in all, just listen to your little piece of the ocean you have there at home and she will let you know what she needs! Like I said, don't be hesitant to reach out here- we have a great community that shares your love of the hobby! Keep us posted!

Cheers
 
It looks more like a hammer to me, I don't think it's torch. Definitely too much flow. You can see the right head is blasted and it's way smaller then the left one, which is a bit shielded by the coral skeleton and the other head (thus doing lot better).
 
It looks more like a hammer to me, I don't think it's torch. Definitely too much flow. You can see the right head is blasted and it's way smaller then the left one, which is a bit shielded by the coral skeleton and the other head (thus doing lot better).
thanks @Piotrek i’ve removed wavemaker and hopefully it makes it better
 
thanks @Piotrek i’ve removed wavemaker and hopefully it makes it better
You can adjust the flow in the future as the colony grows - take a look at my hammers. The old ones barely move why the newly added makes me wonder, if I should follow my own advice. I'm just unable to reduce the flow at this spot without heavy effects elsewhere.

 
You can adjust the flow in the future as the colony grows - take a look at my hammers. The old ones barely move why the newly added makes me wonder, if I should follow my own advice. I'm just unable to reduce the flow at this spot without heavy effects elsewhere.

@Piotrek will do!... btw yours look great!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new