Need some advice on young tank "Nutrient" levels

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g setup that is about 3 months old and I am getting concerned about my nitrate levels being so low. Pic from today below:

11-25-23.jpg

I'm not sure what all information to put in here to help. Happy to add info as necessary. Things have generally gone pretty smoothly and about as expected. This was setup with mostly dry rock and Frtiz bacteria, but I did add about 25lbs of mature wet rock from my LFS at startup.

I've had green hair algae bloom a couple of times as I was slowly bumping up the photoperiod and the CUC size at the same time. There are traces of GHA in the tank today, but I'm guessing I need to be growing a bit more for the herbivores, so I bumped up the photoperiod again slightly today.

By biggest concern is that my nitrates are very low. Today measured at 0.2ppm again (Hanna test kits for all my measurements)

Here are what Nitrate and Phosphate have looked like since I started the tank:

DT Parameters 11-25-23.JPG

Over the last few weeks I have been increasing the feeding (as well as fish load) and slowly turning back the filtration. Still my nitrates are dropping or at best holding steady. I'm running a Reef Octo Regal 150int and it is setup to produce a very dry skimmate at the moment. I also have a roller mat that is built into the Trigger systems sump, and have been increasing the height of the water level sensors to increase the dwell time the waste has in the system before getting rolled out.

Do I need to dose some form of nitrate, or am I ok for the time being? I'm worried that dosing nitrates will launch me into instability, but I'd like to avoid whatever scenario will play out with no nitrate and high phosphate. With a test reading of 0.2, I may actually be at zero now when you consider the test accuracy.

I feed two frozen cubes a day with one usually being mysis, and the other either plankton or brine shrimp. I also try to keep nori in a feder all day for the Tang and Foxface.

Fish load:

2 - MaiTai Clowns about 2" long
1 - Tomini Tang <3"
1 - Foxface Rabbitfish <4"
1 - Green Spotted Puffer <2"
1 - Yellow Watchman Goby <2"

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When nitrate is consistently testing zero, feed heavily. I think this is better for everyone compared to dosing nitrate. If you are concerned about phosphates, then dose amino acids.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When nitrate is consistently testing zero, feed heavily. I think this is better for everyone compared to dosing nitrate. If you are concerned about phosphates, then dose amino acids.

Thanks! What would you call feeding heavily in my situation?

Can I get there just feeding frozen foods, or should I get some flake/pellet foods?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above feeding heavy and exporting less is the best first option to raise nutrients levels however don't shy away from dosing neonitro or neophos either. Tank will be unstable most of the first year. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers and it had no negative effects on my system.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What would you call feeding heavily in my situation?

Can I get there just feeding frozen foods, or should I get some flake/pellet foods?

You can feed whatever. I mostly feed ocean nutrition prime flakes. Feeding heavily imo is over 3 times a day. I recommend starting with twice a day and moving up til you hit some equilibrium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back