Need some guidance on tank.

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m having a difficult time choosing how to start. I have 2x 40g Seaclear, a 29g seaclear and a 20g seaclear.
But the seaclear top. Makes it extremely difficult to aquascape. And to make a long story short, my initial thought of making my own “AIO” using custom acrylic cuts on the back - is not going to work.
73C78FCF-C831-4DC4-8E47-6666E8B1B3E4.jpeg

So now I am sort of back to square one.
here are the details:
- We are moving in March to a new home, so I don’t want a big system that’s difficult to break down. But, if I can find a killer deal, I can make one of my seaclears into a sump.

-I want something I can have some fun with now, but maybe wait to put a lot of coral in it.

Then I headed over to SC Aquarium webpage and they’re having a huge sale.

I was considering this little guy.

but, then I saw their larger systems:

Have these always been this low?
SC Starfire reliable?
anything else I should know about?Everything is on sale right now, the larger system are like $40-$800 off right now.
70380386-3262-445C-A63B-B752B2F9FD2D.jpeg
CE17192C-D102-442B-8AF9-51BC58C94332.jpeg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but I wouldn’t even consider setting up a tank that would have to be taken down in a few months.. it will barely be cycled at that point, IMO huge amount of work and money for nothing.

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but I wouldn’t even consider setting up a tank that would have to be taken down in a few months.. it will barely be cycled at that point, IMO huge amount of work and money for nothing.

that’s what my wife said haha.
I probably should wait...
I just thought I could get started using dr. Tim’s one and only quickly, I saw a video that showed a tank cycled in 3 weeks.

edit: 3 week cycle on the 24g.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to MTRC!

I am not familiar with SC Aquariums. But, many have smaller tanks, ie 40g, and love them. You will be very limited on what fish you can keep, though. I'd get the biggest you can afford and go from there, lol. I have a 75g and really want a bigger one due to fish limitations!

Moving will be a pain with a bigger system, though. A smaller one might be easier if you want something right now! I know waiting until March to do anything will be difficult. Maybe setup a 29/40g now... everything in that tank could be transferred to a bigger system in March once you are settled. You will still need a lot more rock, etc... for the bigger system, so you can always start curing that rock now in a rubbermaid tote so your transfer in March will be quicker going as well.

Of the bigger tanks you listed, the 120g with shadow overflow sounds pretty nice! If I could get another one now...or redesign mine...I was thinking of going with a shadow overflow system.

OP
OP
MikeyLikesit

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light for a 15 gallon? (The overflow/sump area is 9 gallons)
24” long. 10” wide. 15” depth.

I was going to get an 18”WiFi s sbreef, but that is probably overkill.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light for a 15 gallon? (The overflow/sump area is 9 gallons)
24” long. 10” wide. 15” depth.

I was going to get an 18”WiFi s sbreef, but that is probably overkill.
if your looking at Sb reef, what about the sprite? it might be enough for that tank? ( i love sb reef. Ive got a new 45 on order for the new build yould love it!)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im probably a bit late to this party (happens alot) but you made a good choice in the SCA. I have had mine for 5 years now and it has moved twice. ROCK SOLID tank for the money.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back