Need some help

JD18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New into the hobby, used One and Only in my first reef tank, dosed ammonia 3 times @ 2ppm (following the 2 week chart), 2 weeks into the cycle and I haven't seen any changes in the ammonia level or signs of nitrite/nitrate. Assuming the only reason was the bacteria has died? Read online could be chlorine etc. Bought water from local fish store, assumed it wouldn't have chlorine in it, they didn't suggest First Defence so I didn't think about asking for it. Is it possible there was chlorine in the saltwater? Just confused.

Current:
Ammo: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025
Phosphate: 0ppm
Temp: 26 Degrees Celsius

Only early into the cycle but I thought I would have seen some change, browsed YouTube and I've seen other people used One and Only with results just after the first week, wondering why I haven't seen any changes.

Last edited:

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get Fritz turbo start it is the best bacterial blend for a reef tank and it only takes 3 weeks to cycle the tank usually. I really recommend this to you, they have it at saltwateraquarium.com for only about 15$ plus 10 dollar shipping

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ReefRusty said every tank is different but I did read a lot of cycle not started with One and Only. Could be old bottle not sure. I used Bio-Spira. Didn't dose ammonia used the raw shrimp method, and with in 24hrs ammonia was 8ppm. added the Bio-Spira and it started coming down quickly. Within 14 days my ammonia was at 0 and nitrates were 50-100ppm.

Also what test kits are you using?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even without the bottled stuff bacteria will begin to grow on your dry rock with ammonia present. Doubt your LFS is selling water that isn't filtered. If you want to speed the process up you can dose the product mentioned in the previous posts.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should get Fritz turbo start it is the best bacterial blend for a reef tank and it only takes 3 weeks to cycle the tank usually. I really recommend this to you, they have it at saltwateraquarium.com for only about 15$ plus 10 dollar shipping
Believe it or not mine cycled in 1 week with fritz turbo and I used algeabarns ammonia source . But I also used that dry " live rock" which is spored so that might of helped speed it up . Either way highly recommend fritz turbo

OP
OP
J

JD18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dry rock? Have you dosed anymore bacteria? Every tank runs and cycle
Yes I am using dry rock and no I haven't added anymore bacteria, LFS just told me to wait it out, that was a few days ago and still no change.
I was thinking about it but my LFS recommended One and Only, need to do some more research, might use this instead if I have to dose more bacteria.
Like ReefRusty said every tank is different but I did read a lot of cycle not started with One and Only. Could be old bottle not sure. I used Bio-Spira. Didn't dose ammonia used the raw shrimp method, and with in 24hrs ammonia was 8ppm. added the Bio-Spira and it started coming down quickly. Within 14 days my ammonia was at 0 and nitrates were 50-100ppm.

Also what test kits are you using?
Heard of these too, I just wasn't sure why I wasn't seeing any changes. Also I'm using the API master saltwater kit. Also heard that it could be false readings, was going to get my LFS to do a water test for me but forgot the sample, they also just suggested I wait longer.
Even without the bottled stuff bacteria will begin to grow on your dry rock with ammonia present. Doubt your LFS is selling water that isn't filtered. If you want to speed the process up you can dose the product mentioned in the previous posts.
Yeah I do know that is the case but being eager speeding it up would be a big help, will go do some research on fritz.
Believe it or not mine cycled in 1 week with fritz turbo and I used algeabarns ammonia source . But I also used that dry " live rock" which is spored so that might of helped speed it up . Either way highly recommend fritz turbo
Might give this a go :)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Sure sounds like you should be seeing some nitrite by now. It wouldn't hurt to add more bacteria. My question is: If you dosed 2ppm ammonia 3 times and your ammonia is still 2ppm, where is it going? Have you done water changes? What test kits are you using. I personally would add a piece of trusted, established live rock if you can find it. It would probably help with biodiversity of the bacteria. Just a thought.

OP
OP
J

JD18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Sure sounds like you should be seeing some nitrite by now. It wouldn't hurt to add more bacteria. My question is: If you dosed 2ppm ammonia 3 times and your ammonia is still 2ppm, where is it going? Have you done water changes? What test kits are you using. I personally would add a piece of trusted, established live rock if you can find it. It would probably help with biodiversity of the bacteria. Just a thought.
Thanks, and yeah that is exactly what I was thinking, I'm still so confused as to why there is only 2ppm in the tank after dosing the same amount three times.? No I haven't done any water changes and I'm using API test kits, not sure if they are giving faulty results or?(seeing as there is no nitrite/nitrate). Will keep the Live rock in mind :) What would be the bacteria to add, most likely going to go down this road.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and yeah that is exactly what I was thinking, I'm still so confused as to why there is only 2ppm in the tank after dosing the same amount three times.? No I haven't done any water changes and I'm using API test kits, not sure if they are giving faulty results or?(seeing as there is no nitrite/nitrate). Will keep the Live rock in mind :) What would be the bacteria to add, most likely going to go down this road.
I actually cycled both of my tanks with a combo of live and dry rock and the raw shrimp method. Never really saw an ammonia spike, so I don't have any experience with bottled bac. It sounds like Fritz is pretty well liked if you can find it.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
I was wondering the same thing! :D Thanks for asking the pertinent question.
Did you measure ammonia at all from the beginning? Before dosing, just after dosing, etc.?

The API ammonia test kit is not accurate, that is does not give good resolution of reads (1.75ppm to 2.5ppm or probably more would still read as 2ppm for example probably). But it is precise, i.e. it reads the same value constantly. Provided you shake the bottles super well, etc.

So yeah, could be that despite following the instructions for dosing ammonia, you have not added that much to the aquarium. If you have reads from all the dosing times that would help better figure out what is going on.

OP
OP
J

JD18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering the same thing! :D Thanks for asking the pertinent question.

Did you measure ammonia at all from the beginning? Before dosing, just after dosing, etc.?

The API ammonia test kit is not accurate, that is does not give good resolution of reads (1.75ppm to 2.5ppm or probably more would still read as 2ppm for example probably). But it is precise, i.e. it reads the same value constantly. Provided you shake the bottles super well, etc.

So yeah, could be that despite following the instructions for dosing ammonia, you have not added that much to the aquarium. If you have reads from all the dosing times that would help better figure out what is going on.
I did not measure ammonia before/after ammonia, Dr Tims 2 week chart doesn't suggest testing for it on ammonia dosing day. I've tested everyday except the 3 dosing days and I've gotten the same results every time. 8ph, 2ammo, 0nitrite/nitrate. Might be able to take a sample to my LFS when I pick up a bottle of Fritz :)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not measure ammonia before/after ammonia, Dr Tims 2 week chart doesn't suggest testing for it on ammonia dosing day. I've tested everyday except the 3 dosing days and I've gotten the same results every time. 8ph, 2ammo, 0nitrite/nitrate. Might be able to take a sample to my LFS when I pick up a bottle of Fritz :)
Yeah theoretically it should be fine, but seems like people have had trouble getting ammonia to 2ppm using Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride. So unfortunately it is hard to know if you had actually dosed 6ppm before or what. Personally, I'd suggesting dosing another 2ppm to see if you can reach 4ppm ammonia, which still works for cycling. At least that should tell you if there is something wonky there.

OP
OP
J

JD18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah theoretically it should be fine, but seems like people have had trouble getting ammonia to 2ppm using Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride. So unfortunately it is hard to know if you had actually dosed 6ppm before or what. Personally, I'd suggesting dosing another 2ppm to see if you can reach 4ppm ammonia, which still works for cycling. At least that should tell you if there is something wonky there.
Must be fine, did my testing for today and finally starting to see some nitrite, guess my tank is a late bloomer, even with bottled bacteria. No change in ammo level though, or nitrate. Guess we will see tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back