Need Some ID Help - Bryopsis or GHA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hendo50
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hendo50

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - I'm still pretty new to reefing, was having really good success for about a year, but the last 6 months have been an endless slog through a gnarly algae outbreak, to the point I'm getting disillusioned with the whole thing. My nutrient levels have all been g

I have a 33 gallon Fluval Flex, and it's been running now for about 1.5 years. Bio load is fairly small (1 clown, 1 midas blenny, 1 orchid dottyback, 1 blue/green chromis), with minimal coral (just two smallish, but very healthy Zoa colonies) and my nutrient levels were pretty stable for about the first year (NO3: 5-7.5, PO4: 0.02-0.05).

The issue started ~6 months ago when I started showing a little (what I thought was) GHA and cyano, but was small enough I just sucked it out and moved on.

It eventually grew to a big enough problem that I decided to really go at it. So last May I tried Dr. Tim's 2 week Waste Away and Refresh treatment, followed by a 3 day blackout. That caused my NO3 levels to drop to zero (PO4 stayed pretty level), and what was an annoying problem exploded to a complete tank takeover.

Since then, I've tried just about everything I could think of shy of nuking the tank: increased flow, changed feeding, syphoned areas I thought were nutrient sinks, blackouts. I even took down my aquascape, vacuumed the whole sand bed, scrubbed the rocks, put them back in and did a 3 day blackout. No luck.

Now this stuff is everywhere and I'm at my wits end. Neither my hermits, astrea snails nor nerite snails seem to touch it, in fact now they stay off the rocks almost entirely. So I started thinking bryopsis - but it doesn't look quite right, still I tried a Flux regimen, which of course didn't touch it.

Any help figuring out what this crap is and what I can do about it would be greatly appreciated!

PXL_20230817_151025121.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new