Need some suggestions regarding my sump setup

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone

I have been having some issues in my sump, mainly regarding my fuge.
I will be having some hands-on-tank time today. I wanted to take care of this properly.

I have a pro clear aquatic sump (“ultimate” is the model I believe).

the fuge section is about 11 in x 12.

One issue I am having is keeping my macro algae contained in the fuge chamber. All the algae wants to do is flow from the fuge into the next chamber, so it ends up getting stuck in my black baffle filter pads. I have both chaeto and ulva, the ulva is even worse than the chaeto since it came in small pieces.

I think the reason this is happening is because of the flow the fuge is getting. So, I cut a “lid” for the fuge out of clear acrylic with some holes on it, to help contain the macros in. Which does ok, for keeping it in place.. Now a few days later I’m thinking the lid may not be such a good idea. It floats up sometimes when I shut off my return pump. causing the ulva to go all over the sump. It’s even getting algae growth in the actual clear lid itself blocking light to the macros.

I was thinking of swapping my fuge and skimmer. Letting the skimmer sit in the fuge chamber and using the over sized first chamber as a fuge. Not sure this is a good idea because the only reason I can do this now, is I am running a reef octo 150SSS on a 200+g reef. Once I get a properly sized skimmer this setup won’t work.

Any alternatives / suggestions ?

BD6EAA70-ACC9-4562-8B08-24553F50208F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5230.MOV
    25.8 MB

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
instead of the clear acrylic "lid" u can try egg crates in its place to prevent macros from entering baffle filter pad.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, it would probably stay in place better. I just don't have egg crate on hand atm.

Is this the only solution?
or like you suggested, try swapping the location of fuge and skimmer... However keep in mind that once the chaeto grows big/heavy enough it won't float over into the baffle

can you lower the water level in the refugium?

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or like you suggested, try swapping the location of fuge and skimmer... However keep in mind that once the chaeto grows big/heavy enough it won't float over into the baffle

can you lower the water level in the refugium?
Not sure if I can lower the water level, I would have to check

Also would rather not swap things around since I do plan on getting a larger skimmer in the near future.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the video was hard to determine sump layout. do u have any pix of the sump showing the sections/refugium?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back