Need suggestions for new tank lighting

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI prime 16 HD and was wondering what I should start out with for settings. I introduced two clownfish to my tank yesterday and I’d like to give them some light and not fry out their little eyeballs. I have a 40 gallon tank, the light is about a foot off the water. Should I adjust them to it gradually or just use one of the pre programmed things from AIs website?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the pre-programmed ones are fine but nothing special. I say find a visually appealing mix for you. Then share it here and I (or others) can make suggested edits. I like to limit UV to 50 or have it up during peak hours and go down at some point as to not melt a hole in the lens. Violet I also like limit its upper strength for peak hours for the same reason. Royal blue and blue can be kept at around 100 for most of the day without an issue. Red and green can be set at whatever you'd like. Don't worry about red and algae, its nothing compared to the blue light. The same goes for the white channel. I like a bit more white, red, and green for the fish to have a better visual environment Keep the light at about 13 inches off the water. You eventually need a 2nd light as one only covers roughly 18x18 - 24x24. Avoid running the light at its max power for long periods of time.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back