• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Need to come up with a price

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to set up a new 180 gallon Reef where my current 110 gallon reef is.
I will be selling the 110 but I'm not sure how much to sell it for.

I will be hitting the for sale thread soon.

110 gallon reef tank for sale
110 gallon stand/cabinet for sale
E Shopps R-300 sump for sale
Plumbing included.
Sand included.
Live rock included.
7 inch filter cup and several filter socks included.
Large carpet anemone included.
Large Kenya tree included.
Large leather coral included.
Mini maxi anemone included.
I will throw in Current USA Orbit Marine 48 inch LED w/ Ramp timer pro and Marineland LED/T5 light fixture with FRESH ATI bulbs.

I can also throw in a SCA 302 Protein Skimmer for an extra cost.

Located in Maryland.
Local pick up only!

How much should I charge for all this?

TODAY's Pic of tank
20190328_112308-jpg.1022755

20190328_112646-jpg.1022759

Older pic of the sump
20170424_162951-jpg.514362

Pic of tank before breakdown...
20181201_141524-jpg.1022702

Large carpet anemone included.
Large Kenya tree included.
Large leather coral included.
Mini maxi anemone included.

Pic of lights
20170406_175241-jpg.506479

Pick of tank under the lights
20170428_110235-jpg.516030

How much should I sell all this for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has an idea on pricing?

I see a lot of unanswered threads on this board.
I HAD this in the general forum but it got moved here to what looks like no man's land.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woosahh grasshopper, people have this they do during the day called work. People are more active in the evening when they are not working.

Do you know brand of tank and stand and how old?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not what you want to hear... but... I’d say like $500. The systems that are pricy resale are usually plug and play with all power heads, heater, return, everything. The dimensions of that tank make it difficult to provide flow to as I’m sure you know. Idk, someone will buy it, have faith.Ive seen 200 gallon systems never been wet before with stand and sump for $500 on Craigslist, it’s a great place to get some deals.

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason you are getting little (or no) response is because pricing is a very subjective and personal thing.

I would suggest looking up each of the items of equipment in the Sale forum and see what they are going for. The tank itself is in my opinion the hard for two reasons... First, it has to be picked up. This limits who will even consider looking to buy which will affect how much you can sell it for. The other is that when buying a tank, people want a great deal or a good deal on a perfect tank. I think we lose the most on our tanks when we sell them. Especially when you get over 100 Gallons in size.

GLWS.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're better off selling it piece by piece instead of the entire system as a whole.

I usually sell things based on how much the item sells for new and knock off percentage based on the current condition of the item, example: a pump is $100 new, if it's in excellent condition maybe try posting the price at $80, if no interest after 1-2 weeks then drop it down to $70 -- this also depends on how quickly you want to sell the item. But all this depends on really how much you want for the item -- be fair about the pricing though. Try to think about how much you're willing to pay for an item also.

There isn't really a correct way of how to price things for this hobby, and there is no blue book that we can value the items. Also, all equipment will definitely depreciate in value, but livestock may keep it's value depending on the condition as well.

Goodluck with selling.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woosahh grasshopper, people have this they do during the day called work. People are more active in the evening when they are not working.

Do you know brand of tank and stand and how old?

Thanks for responding. This is my 2nd post about this. I am not trying to sell yet but it will be up for sale very soon.
The Tank and stand are 5 years old. No idea what brand if any. I purchased it new from my LFS 5 years ago.

I know it’s not what you want to hear... but... I’d say like $500. The systems that are pricy resale are usually plug and play with all power heads, heater, return, everything. The dimensions of that tank make it difficult to provide flow to as I’m sure you know. Idk, someone will buy it, have faith.Ive seen 200 gallon systems never been wet before with stand and sump for $500 on Craigslist, it’s a great place to get some deals.

Thanks for responding.
$500 MIIIIIGHT be a bit too low.

I think the reason you are getting little (or no) response is because pricing is a very subjective and personal thing.

I would suggest looking up each of the items of equipment in the Sale forum and see what they are going for. The tank itself is in my opinion the hard for two reasons... First, it has to be picked up. This limits who will even consider looking to buy which will affect how much you can sell it for. The other is that when buying a tank, people want a great deal or a good deal on a perfect tank. I think we lose the most on our tanks when we sell them. Especially when you get over 100 Gallons in size.

GLWS.

Thanks for responding.
I've looked but not many people selling larger tanks. I see some smaller ones but generally not larger tanks.

I think you're better off selling it piece by piece instead of the entire system as a whole.

I usually sell things based on how much the item sells for new and knock off percentage based on the current condition of the item, example: a pump is $100 new, if it's in excellent condition maybe try posting the price at $80, if no interest after 1-2 weeks then drop it down to $70 -- this also depends on how quickly you want to sell the item. But all this depends on really how much you want for the item -- be fair about the pricing though. Try to think about how much you're willing to pay for an item also.

There isn't really a correct way of how to price things for this hobby, and there is no blue book that we can value the items. Also, all equipment will definitely depreciate in value, but livestock may keep it's value depending on the condition as well.

Goodluck with selling.

Thank you for responding.
I need to get this stuff out of my house but not badly enough that I'm willing to sell for next to nothing.
I will do some soul searching and try to come up with fair pricing. I am more than willing to help an "up n commer" out in a good start into this hobby of ours. maybe I will be able to find the right person to buy this reef set up.

I was hoping for general numbers at least to start off with but if I can't, then I will just soul search, Craigslist search and forum search to come up with fair pricing.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. This is my 2nd post about this. I am not trying to sell yet but it will be up for sale very soon.
The Tank and stand are 5 years old. No idea what brand if any. I purchased it new from my LFS 5 years ago.

Thanks for responding.
$500 MIIIIIGHT be a bit too low.

Thanks for responding.
I've looked but not many people selling larger tanks. I see some smaller ones but generally not larger tanks.

Thank you for responding.
I need to get this stuff out of my house but not badly enough that I'm willing to sell for next to nothing.
I will do some soul searching and try to come up with fair pricing. I am more than willing to help an "up n commer" out in a good start into this hobby of ours. maybe I will be able to find the right person to buy this reef set up.

I was hoping for general numbers at least to start off with but if I can't, then I will just soul search, Craigslist search and forum search to come up with fair pricing.
I’d sell your sump separate for sure. You could get 250 off that alone.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might not be a bad idea.

I'm going to try to sell it as a whole first.
Then break it up if needed down the line. Just have to come up with prices first.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back