Need to raise Alkalinity,Calcium and Magnesium

TORMENTOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the water again today and it tested as follows.

PH 8.2
SG 1.023
AMM 0
NITRITE 0
NITRATE 0
CALCIUM 280
ALKALINITY 8
MAGNESIUM 930 <---Used Salifert test kit

What product do you use and what do you recommend I do to raise the 3 that are low. I know the Alkalinity is not really low but I would like it to be in range for a reef tank.

My tank has been up and running since the 17th of February and completed the cycle last weekend. My readings have stayed the same for the first 5 tests mentioned for the past week.

I have 3 Green Chromis in the tank and nothing else. I would like to start adding more fish but would like to get the Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium up before I do so.

Please help, I am dying to see some more life in the tank.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get your Mag in check. Without that you will never get your Calc and Alk to be steady.

OP
OP
T

TORMENTOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get your Mag in check. Without that you will never get your Calc and Alk to be steady.

What product do you recommend and can I add a cleanup crew while doing this?
I will be going to get the recommended product today.

badfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the bulk reef supply two part and love it.you get more for your mone y there also.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the starter pack from BRS and am about to start dumping. $70 for a nice little starter. It comes with (3)- one gallon jugs, (2) dispensers, a few measuring cups, a (dry) gallon of each Calcium chloride, Mag Sulfate, Mag Chloride, and Sodium Bicarbonate or Soda Ash (depending on which recipe you go with). You mix it all yourself, but at ~18 gallons liquid per dry gallon of Ca and Alk, and ~3.5 gallons liquid per dry gallon of Mg, I don't think you'll find it much cheaper, unless you hunt down the parts by yourself (not really all that hard, but bulk is just easier for me to store, etc.).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 68 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back