need your input on electronic MH ballast

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about those ballast. But I liked the new lumatek 250-400w switchable one. I have a galaxy selectable 250,250hqi,400 turbo charged. Radiums bulbs are better to. Run high wattage like a 400 should be run at 415-420w to get that popping blue out of them. But I never ran that type of bulb before so someone can chime in may give you better input. Good luck
Give up the MH and go led. Save alote of money in the long run.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bart, I have a trio of the Icecaps for my 250's. they are dead silent, start fast and put off very little heat. they are as cool as my icecap 660 VHO one.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the better ballast to run 400w radiums? Icecap or vertex?

thx,
-bart

Icecap is actually Coralvue now so that is a moot point and I think that Sunlight supply makes them all anyway's. Zef can chime in here as he worked for them i think!
Bill

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right coralvue just repairs icecaps I do not think they own them I have a coralvue 250 and it works fine

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right coralvue just repairs icecaps I do not think they own them I have a coralvue 250 and it works fine

They now own Icecap from what I have read when they went Bankrupt Coralvue bought them outand does do their warranty on older ballast as well
Bill

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 W Radiums are meant to be over-driven, 400 W Radiums are not. While you'll increase PAR significantly on the 400 W bulb you will cut the bulb's life in half or so. BTW, I'm not sold on LEDs yet.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vertex is going to give you more punch if that's what you're asking they're a great dependable ballast to
But if you're looking for higher drive to get the crisp white with a hint of the blue from your radiums I'd go lumetek as mentioned with the selectable drive the vertex gives off a little more blue in the bulb but drives it to spec
I run both on separate tanks I maintain
The lumetek will give you a crisper white if you dont like so much blue and the vertex will give more of a crisp blue both ways look great to me it's all about personal preference at this point hope that helps

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Cee on the Radiums. No need to ovrdrive the 400w version. The new version (blue ones) Icecap ballasts will work great for them. Lumatec are awesome too for radiums. I prefer the latter.

I'm not 100% sold on LEDs yet either, thats why I am running halide and Leds.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back