Needing second light

stubbz08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 4' 60 gallon reef tank. With one xr30 g4 light. Noticing shadowing and lack of growth on sides.
I am building a canopy so hanging/looks is not an issue. But my question is should I add two t5 lights, or buy another xr30 /xr15

Much cheaper to just get a retro fit t5 kit I'm thinking.
IMAG1114.jpeg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are budget bound a set of T-5’s will work great, remember that’s what everyone used before L.E.D’s

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you definitely need more light to the ends. I would go with another fixture like you have now.

The problem with adding a t5 is that you lose most of the control the led gives you now... unless you get an expensive dimable t5. I tried adding t5's to my Photon V2 and I hated the lack of ability to control the color and intensity. I even tried just a blue t5 behind my leds and even that was marginal IMHO.

Now I have a simple blue & white led fixture with 2 channels and dimmers. It sits behind my Photon V2 and is thin so it looks similar to the Photon. I run it as all blue and it makes the back of the tank more blue, which makes it look further away and it adds blue to the mix of colors under the Photon. And in the evening when things are dark, the Photon being a mix of blues and violets along with the all blue from the 2nd fixture makes the fluorescing corals and anemones look crazy cool.

OP
OP
stubbz08

stubbz08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you definitely need more light to the ends. I would go with another fixture like you have now.

The problem with adding a t5 is that you lose most of the control the led gives you now... unless you get an expensive dimable t5. I tried adding t5's to my Photon V2 and I hated the lack of ability to control the color and intensity. I even tried just a blue t5 behind my leds and even that was marginal IMHO.

Now I have a simple blue & white led fixture with 2 channels and dimmers. It sits behind my Photon V2 and is thin so it looks similar to the Photon. I run it as all blue and it makes the back of the tank more blue, which makes it look further away and it adds blue to the mix of colors under the Photon. And in the evening when things are dark, the Photon being a mix of blues and violets along with the all blue from the 2nd fixture makes the fluorescing corals and anemones look crazy cool.
OK thank you. That makes sense. Unfortunate that those lights are so expensive. But I'll start looking for one

CaptainOver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 XR15's on a 4' 75G tank (spaced 1') and they seem to get really good distribution. The XR30's are tough because the pucks are together, but I think you would still get a good spread with a second one.
Also, if you aren't using the Radion diffusers, definitely give them a try. They will spread the light more evenly.

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id get another radion and maybe even a aquatic life t5 fixture to help with shading, what kind of corals are you wanting to grow?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back