needing some help

aaron2709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi.
Im new to the marine world and find myself somewhat out of my comfort zone. i have a 52l evo tank, consisting of
sand
live rock
coral
sand sifting starfish, snails, hermit crabs, clown fish, royal gammer, pj cardinal, chalk goby, neon goby.
over the past 48 hours or so i have lost 2 turbo snails and 1 hermit crab 1 coral. the water is clear as day but the glass, live rock and some corals at BROWN and i bit slimie. i am at a loss as to what is going on, any advice would be really appricated
thank you in advance

tank3.jpg tank4.jpg tank5.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your tank is still young it’s normal to have things like that, keep riding it out it’s an adventure! Make sure you clean up crew has enough to eat as well. How did you acclimate your clean up crew? What are you parameters?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like dinoflagellates, which is very different from a diatom bloom. They can be quite hard to get rid of. Starving them out (but not letting your nutrients bottom out all the way) and a 3 day blackout seems to work but at times they come back.

OP
OP
A

aaron2709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As your tank is still young it’s normal to have things like that, keep riding it out it’s an adventure! Make sure you clean up crew has enough to eat as well. How did you acclimate your clean up crew? What are you parameters?
Thank you for the advice, like i say I'm new to all this and its a big learning curve as i have branched out from what i know with keeping koi carp in my pond.
I've been adding zoo-blast for the corals but as for the clean up crew I'm unsure what to supplement there food with any suggestions?, i will do a test on the water shortly and post the results

OP
OP
A

aaron2709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like dinoflagellates, which is very different from a diatom bloom. They can be quite hard to get rid of. Starving them out (but not letting your nutrients bottom out all the way) and a 3 day blackout seems to work but at times they come back.
hi, thanks for the info after doing a bit of research i am more inklind to agree with you that they are dinoflagellates, going to do a 72 hour black out, how would you go about starving them without letting nutrients bottom out?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back