Fishroom Reality Check

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always struggled with wrasse in TTM and have found them to be somewhat prone to this within a week or so even if they pull through. It could be unrelated, however. Sorry for your loss, nothing obvious glaring out at me here.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always struggled with wrasse in TTM and have found them to be somewhat prone to this within a week or so even if they pull through. It could be unrelated, however. Sorry for your loss, nothing obvious glaring out at me here.
Thanks for the note. I took a look at your wrasse article “what’s wrong with my wrasse” and I think a spinal injury might be a possibility. He was a pretty flighty guy and I did have to chase him a little with the colander to transfer. I feel so crappy.

Is there ANY group of fish that doesn’t have ‘special requirements’ in QT? I did the hybrid TTM with the hydrogen peroxide, and things looked great all the way through. Now I’m second guessing that maybe I should havevprophylactically medicated food, or maybe having the overhead lights on the timer was too much of a sudden transition, and caused an overly aggressive flight response.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the note. I took a look at your wrasse article “what’s wrong with my wrasse” and I think a spinal injury might be a possibility. He was a pretty flighty guy and I did have to chase him a little with the colander to transfer. I feel so crappy.

Is there ANY group of fish that doesn’t have ‘special requirements’ in QT? I did the hybrid TTM with the hydrogen peroxide, and things looked great all the way through. Now I’m second guessing that maybe I should havevprophylactically medicated food, or maybe having the overhead lights on the timer was too much of a sudden transition, and caused an overly aggressive flight response.
I think you made a good choice. Wrasse are tough, regardless of the QT methodology you utilize

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let’s talk about something positive.

I have a plan of action for the next phase of my algae battle plan

I’ve decided I’m going to try to cover the end glass under the overflow with this Bizarro Cyphastrea

9F7CF131-3B1D-496B-BD5B-A3675A91BCF5.jpeg

Because I showed Calloway a bunch of color forms and this her favorite because it reminds her of daisies

Then, if it takes, I’m going to try to get this ON the inner overflow box itself
A769E691-EAAA-4109-9AAE-A84D413BCDD1.jpeg

Agent 420 cyphastrea

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also researching the merits of just going for broke and installing a calcium reactor way earlier, rather than later. With the plans I have for SPS, and clams, I’m going to be installing one in the future anyway- figure I should go all in and not just drop a bunch of coin on 2 part and dosers , just to have to upgrade in <2 years anyway .

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feels like a total gut punch. Think you do everything right, look good one minute, gone the next.
I'm sorry to see you lost him. :(

Unfortunately, I experienced the exact same thing with my new one. He was doing great in the DT, eating well and very active. Friday I thought I saw him laying against the bottom edge of the tank but then he started swimming again. Saturday morning before I left on my trip he was snail food.

I can't say for sure what it was, but the wrasse was a male and I've been told that female wrasses ship much better. Hard to find flasher wrasses as females. The 2 fairy wrasses I got at the same time, both female or transitioning male, seem to be doing fine.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to see you lost him. :(

Unfortunately, I experienced the exact same thing with my new one. He was doing great in the DT, eating well and very active. Friday I thought I saw him laying against the bottom edge of the tank but then he started swimming again. Saturday morning before I left on my trip he was snail food.

I can't say for sure what it was, but the wrasse was a male and I've been told that female wrasses ship much better. Hard to find flasher wrasses as females. The 2 fairy wrasses I got at the same time, both female or transitioning male, seem to be doing fine.
Aww man, you too? That sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.
every time I hear to the basement I'm anxious I'm going to see that I lost the mcoskers too. I'm not sure I'd handle that at all well

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidied up some wiring at the water station. Added a light switch (not wired through the gfci- sinbce I want to see if the heater or pump trips it) for the overhead and an inkbird temp controller. Ran the probe wire through the barrel with a 1/4” uniseal. Looking for my 1”uniseals to do the same with the heater cord

Before - crowded because people make controllers that don’t fit into regular receptacles, so I had to use pigtails

3553A8D9-E6FD-46E3-B1F1-650C92B00481.jpeg

After- had most of it lying around, just needed some time to do it.

C6A38786-C9AF-4630-A562-9F171E7A2C00.jpeg

3DD58C34-483D-47BB-A4A5-71964386D2C5.jpeg

FE0CBF66-97FE-48E6-BC6F-79221E08C631.jpeg

D570DE8E-FE22-4113-AB0A-3A8F663E0632.jpeg

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another wrasse down?? But things were going so well. Any ideas? So sorry for this. We lost our red scooter blenny last night too. Jumped out of the tank. Sad face.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, something positive to talk about.

EVERY coral in my tank is showing signs of reproduction or growth.

Duncan: 3 new heads forming around the edge of 2 original heads

802A3782-976E-4863-B12A-79F2DBBB435C.jpeg

Ultra green branchingvhammer: doubled in size, mouths separating, looking ‘bulkier’

Purple capped hammer: new head budding

25156228-29C8-46C4-A63E-E8884DFD11E6.jpeg

32248344-A559-4492-A2AC-735462EC7969.jpeg

War favia: 8-9 new mouths around the edges, starting to encrust on rock, color starting to return, ultra green mouths.

Gsp: doubled in area, now covers 1/2 of its rock, up from 1/5th.

Xenia: 1/4 has split o GC and started moving to other side of rock and started spreading its base out. 3 new tiny finger projections on the leading edge.

Excited. Despite the set backs and the cruddy algae, looks like everyone is in good health and enjoying the tank

With the positive signs, time to kick it up a notch and get my levels stabilized, baselined and start 2-part dosing.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenters flasher wrasse: RIP

After transferring the fish from TTM 4 to the 20g long observation tank (salinity and temp matched perfectly) I put this mornings harbest if BBS in there for their first feeding of the day, checked for normal activity -ate like pigs- then took the family out for breakfast and some grocery shopping.

Get back at 1pm, go check the tanks, and find Carpenters wrasse deceased, laying on the bottom. Literally zero physical signs of anything wrong. Looks normal as far as I can tell.

Mccoskers and the Midas blenny are acting completely consistently with the past 13 days, seem to be enjoying the expanded space and the rock and decorations.

I’m at a loss. Speechless. Have no idea what happened. I don’t get it. Just as I thought we were past the hard stressful part of TTM.

Bummed. I did do the change early this morning, and they seemed to be just waking up from sleep- he was the first one I scooped out with the colander- is it possible I spooked him so bad that he passed away?

@Humblefish You have any idea what could have happened to this Wrasse after doing TTM? Any experience with this happening to you as well? I am just shocked how TTM could be harmful...

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mccoskers flasher wrasse: RIP
Oh no!! Mixed emotions here, having all sorts of Babies with the Corals but a tough quarantine period. I am so shocked to find that the wrasse struggle so much with Hybrid TTM. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here for all of us to learn with you! Great tank and keep up the great work, seems like you are making all the right moves!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!! Mixed emotions here, having all sorts of Babies with the Corals but a tough quarantine period. I am so shocked to find that the wrasse struggle so much with Hybrid TTM. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here for all of us to learn with you! Great tank and keep up the great work, seems like you are making all the right moves!
I’d be hesitant to blame the hybrid TTM. Although both wrasses were eating well, swimming around, looking good, I think maybe an acute stressor just heavily spooked them and that led to their passing. Is it possible my having been in the QT area doing QT clean up, walking past the tank a bunch, moving tables and boxes etc have caused it? The last transfer was a bit more rough on them, I did have to ‘chase’ them a bit more than I did the three previous- possible they had impact injury from swimming into the glass or a piece of pvc?

It’s hard to parse. Especially since there was no lead up. I’m doing a bunch of reading, seeing if anything jumps out.

The Midas blenny that is also in observation is going ok. Seems like he misses his buddies, but I can see him on the cam swimming around chasing baby brine shrimp. Fingers crossed

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder if helping the more sensitive fish, like wrasses, out with a little bit of Beta 1, 3 Glucan would get them through that last step a lot of folks seems to be losing these guy on. Not sure if it's the solution but might help build them back up even after a non-invasive quarantine process. Have a good read on Beta 1, 3 Glucan as it is a wonderful helper if you have any interest in it.

Here is a great Study on it:

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish You have any idea what could have happened to this Wrasse after doing TTM? Any experience with this happening to you as well? I am just shocked how TTM could be harmful...

Fairy/flasher wrasses have delicate spinal cords which are sometimes made even more brittle if parasitic diplomonads are present & feeding in the spinal canal. I've seen Carpenter's Wrasses jump & hit a hard part of the lid, or dart & hit a PVC elbow (or ram head first into the glass)... dead instantly in some cases. They are very frustrating to QT.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy/flasher wrasses have delicate spinal cords which are sometimes made even more brittle if parasitic diplomonads are present & feeding in the spinal canal. I've seen Carpenter's Wrasses jump & hit a hard part of the lid, or dart & hit a PVC elbow (or ram head first into the glass)... dead instantly in some cases. They are very frustrating to QT.
Thanks Humblefish. It’s my feeling that they got a little too flighty during the last transfer and sustained impact injuries.

I’ll keep it in mind when I repeat. Any tips on catching them fir the transfers? I use square colanders, move all pvc out, Hester, air stone out. Then try to scoop them, slow and deliberate. Maybe I’ll try emptying 2/3rds of the tank first next time

Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back