Neon goby breeding signs?

Fliertrier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have an established saltwater tank with a neon blue goby I’ve had for probably 4-6 months now. I got a neon orange goby today (it’s a 30 gallon with plenty of live rock so I thought they would have room to get away from each other), and while feeding I noticed they were staying close to each other & would follow each other. The blue goby would get very close to the orange one, sometimes stir up some sand, and they would both wait. One would go into a cave and the other would follow, then a moment later they’d come out again. It doesn’t look like fighting to me, no nipping or anything. Just wondering if this is a sign of (attempted) breeding? They’re different species and I know it’s difficult to breed them. Any ideas?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have an established saltwater tank with a neon blue goby I’ve had for probably 4-6 months now. I got a neon orange goby today (it’s a 30 gallon with plenty of live rock so I thought they would have room to get away from each other), and while feeding I noticed they were staying close to each other & would follow each other. The blue goby would get very close to the orange one, sometimes stir up some sand, and they would both wait. One would go into a cave and the other would follow, then a moment later they’d come out again. It doesn’t look like fighting to me, no nipping or anything. Just wondering if this is a sign of (attempted) breeding? They’re different species and I know it’s difficult to breed them. Any ideas?

Neon blue gobies just seem to be very friendly in my opinion. Wondering how this turned out from you. Expecting they are BFFs. I feel neon blue gobies should always be in pairs so it has another small friend to hang out. (edit to fix typo)

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back