Nepthea dead or shedding mucous?

BlueSallymandr

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Messages
29
Reaction score
20
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240114_142255.jpg

Hi, my nepthea tree coral looks terrible all of a sudden when I came home - it had seemed so healthy before! Is it dead or is it just shedding mucous? What should I do?

Background: It's in a freshly cycled 14 gallon BioCube. I just added 3 trochus snails, 1 nassarius snail, and 1 discostoma mushroom yesterday. I dipped the discostoma before adding it. I'm about to test my water and will update when finished.
 
I did a 20% water change yesterday when I added the snails and new coral.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5.0
phosphate 0
pH 8.2
salinity 1.025
temp 77 F
 
Well, it's definitely not dead, but 0 phosphate will kill it sooner or later. You want an absolute minimum of 0.03ppm, ideally a fair bit more. It may be stressed by the lack of nutrients, or it may just be temporarily annoyed at something else.
 
Thank you! I forgot to add, there are currently no fish in the tank, so phosphate isn't being added via food yet.
 
That's definitely an issue. You'll likely want to dose phosphates to keep your corals alive, if you aren't going to be adding fish within the next few days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new