Neptune Apex 1Link - Explanation, please!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Apologies for the apparent stupidity that's about to happen, but I can not wrap my head around how the 1Link module works.

I have found several descriptions across various vendors webpages such as "Module for Wireless connection from your Apex to 1Link-Compatable Neptune Devices." and similar wording along those lines.

Q: Can I plug in an Energy Bar (aquabus) to a 1Link module and build up a system on a secondary tank just like that - communicating with my Apex A3 on my main tank?

Thanks,

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole purpose of the 1Link module is to provide 24v power outlets (1Link and aux) via aquabus connectivity where there were previously none. It was developed prior to Apex 2016 or A3 to allow a classic Apex to connect directly and power things like DOS for example.

I had to google the quote from your post, found it on one single vendor site in the UK. Obviously a very misleading description. Much like the next statement that it requires Apex EL or A3. There is nothing "wireless" in the 1Link module. The signal comes into the module from the head unit via AquaBus/USB cable and is then served out via 1Link ports with the addition of the 24v power outlet.

Now, to answer your question. If you need 1Link ports on your secondary tank and you have a long enough AquaBus cable to run it from the main tank to the secondary, then 1Link module will work. If you are looking for a wireless solution, then it won't work.

Last edited:

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the known weaknesses in the design of the power "distribution" (could not find a better word) of Apex via Aquabus, etc. I would like to know if it would be relatively safe or would make sense using a 1LINK 24V output to power a 5W LED lamp for my chaeto. Would that put too much strain on the aquabus and could eventually put at risk burning one of those buck converter chips in any of the modules in the bus? For example, if the 1LINK module power supply goes bad and all power is suddenly drown from the bus?

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole purpose of the 1Link module is to provide 24v power outlets (1Link and aux) via aquabus connectivity where there were previously none. It was developed prior to Apex 2016 or A3 to allow a classic Apex to connect directly and power things like DOS for example.

I had to google the quote from your post, found it on one single vendor site in the UK. Obviously a very misleading description. Much like the next statement that it requires Apex EL or A3. There is nothing "wireless" in the 1Link module. The signal comes into the module from the head unit via AquaBus/USB cable and is then served out via 1Link ports with the addition of the 24v power outlet.

Now, to answer your question. If you need 1Link ports on your secondary tank and you have a long enough AquaBus cable to run it from the main tank to the secondary, then 1Link module will work. If you are looking for a wireless solution, then it won't work.
Thank you, that was exactly the explanation I was looking for! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I might just end up going for a used Apex Classic- or an EL and build up a separate system on the other tank in question.

Cheers- and happy Friday!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back