Neptune Apex control of Jebao 36v pumps

JY742

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone made or come across a controller that can use apex 0-10v and control Jebao's 36v pumps (DCP18000, DCP20000)?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any of the "Sine Wave" pumps have controllers with built in 0-10V control. There is the AQLink A1 interface for APEX but its only rated for 24V and about 96 watts, wouldn't be able to go any bigger that the DCP 8000.

I think you are looking at DIY hackery for the big 36v pumps. As far as I can tell the Sine Wave pumps house only the brushless DC motor in the pump, the motor driver is in the control box. It should be possible to drive the pump with a universal brushless motor controller. But the attempts at this the I have seen to date do not reach the OEM controllers efficiency due to the universal controller not being optimized for the motor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JY742

JY742

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that someone had made a DIY controller for these 36v pumps with pure sine wave by now, however no luck yet. I have the AQLink A1 controlling a Jebao DCP15000 which is the largest of the 24v pumps and before that had a Jebao DCT 15000 pump running on the same A1 controller. The last setting on the dip switches on the A1 controller is now set for the Jebao DCP 15000 pump. I have made a controller for the 36v pump and 0-10v control however not with OEM efficiency, I guest I will continue my research to see if I can get there. I could use the original controller if I need to however I like to have my pumps turned off at feeding time and then ramp up when turned back on. Thanks for helping with my issue!!

Upvote 0

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are further down this path than most people. I have thought about building a 0-10v controller to integrate the newer Jebao's with the APEX, I even bought a few components to test, though I was only looking at 24v supply. I believe the trick to better efficiency is a motor controller with more configurable parameters, and from what I have seen most universal type controllers have very little adjustability. I suspect their are more advanced controllers available at a price, but you would still have to know how to tune them. I think if I was going to attempt tuning I would start with oscilloscope traces of the OEM controllers output at different loads and see if I could tune a controller for a reasonable match.

Through another hobby (radio control models) I am aware of a class of controllers (they call them electronic speed controls, ESC) that have a fairly in-depth adjustability, my plan was to start there.

Another idea that came from a friend is leave the OEM motor controller in place, and through a arduino or other device, interface with input controls on the OEM controller. You would be limited to the OEM functionality but could access it through the APEX. I think this idea could be worth a look.

Upvote 0

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional thought, if all you need is to turn off during feeding you could just plug the power supply into a controlled outlet on the EB832. not ideal, but could be a rough work around.

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back