Neptune Cor-15 RPMs are always fluctuating...is this normal?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I just upgraded to a Neptune Cor-15 as a return pump. I noticed the RPMs (running at 60%) are bouncing all over the place. I accepted small jumps here and there, but over the last 24 hours the RPM high has been 2210 and the low has been 2110...nearly a 100 rpm difference. Is this type of fluctuation normal? The pump is pretty darn clean, only a week old...do these pumps have greater stability if i turn it down some? Or perhaps turn it up? I was hoping for a return pump that was really tuneable and stable...kinda of disappointed...

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences for those who have run the Cor pumps.

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find mine does this too. I occasionally have to retune my overflow because of it.
Thanks! Yea....I am running a red sea tank and the constant adjusting of the down flow value (which controls water level in the overflow) is tiresome. I was seeing the water level dip a little in the overflow and so I adjusted the downflow value, but perhaps if I let it ride, the pump will increase RPMs again and balance itself out. Today I dialed the pump down to 40% to see if stability is a little better at lower gph.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back