Neptune DOS and Kalkwasser

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm making the switch from BRS 2-part to kalkwasser and wanted to run some questions by you all...

I'll be running a Neptune DOS on a light consumption tank. When I set up the 2-part I calculated my daily alk consumption to be around 0.2-0.3 dKH (like I said, light :) )

When I plug my numbers into the Reef Chemistry Calculator, it spits out 460 mL/day of fully saturated lime water.

Reviewing my pH data, I'd like to dose the Kalk between 00:00 and 12:00 to balance out my pH swings.

When I plug that data in to the Fusion DOS settings, it give me the following:

Amount to dose: 460 mL
Time allotted: 720 min
Time used: 100%
Number of doses: 51
Dose every: 14 min
Volume per dose: 9 mL
Volume of last dose: 0.0 mL
Unused time remaining: 0 min
Pump speed: 7 mL/min

For clarification, does that mean that every 14 minutes it will "dump" 9 mL then nothing for the remaining minutes? Or 9 mL spread out over that 14 minute window?

If all at once, is that normal? I thought Kalk was supposed to be spread out, not in little "spurts" like that.

Is there a better way to program it?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm making the switch from BRS 2-part to kalkwasser and wanted to run some questions by you all...

I'll be running a Neptune DOS on a light consumption tank. When I set up the 2-part I calculated my daily alk consumption to be around 0.2-0.3 dKH (like I said, light :) )

When I plug my numbers into the Reef Chemistry Calculator, it spits out 460 mL/day of fully saturated lime water.

Reviewing my pH data, I'd like to dose the Kalk between 00:00 and 12:00 to balance out my pH swings.

Amount to dose: 500 mL
Number of doses: 72
Dose every: 10 min
Volume per dose: 6.9 mL

For clarification, does that mean that every 10 minutes it will "dump" 6.9 mL over a minute then nothing for 9 minutes? Or 6.9 mL spread out over that 10 minute window?

If all at once, is that normal? I thought Kalk was supposed to be spread out, not in little "spurts" like that.

I don’t use a dos. But I’ve used kalk for a long time. If it spits out some periodically like you stated, that would be fine.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's going to put out 6.9 ML every 10 min basically. I do use a DOS for Kalk, but I use it to push the fresh water in, not pull saturated water out. I don't know that the saturated Kalk will wear the tube faster, but I have a feeling that it will.

Whiskey

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s fine being spread out over that timeframe. The dos will not dose continuously unless you are pushing serious volumes. This is my dos pump dosing kalk.

Second is my pH. Every dose a slight increase for me.
IMG_2838.png
IMG_2839.png

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amount to dose: 460 mL
Number of doses: 51
Dose every: 14 min
Volume per dose: 9 mL

For clarification, does that mean that every 14 minutes it will "dump" 9 mL then nothing for the remaining minutes? Or 9 mL spread out over that 14 minute window?

That schedule means its going to dose as you described 7ml ever 14 minutes at 9ml/min.

However this calculates to 1440 minutes (24h) which means you're not achieving your goal of only dosing from midnight to noon.

You'll want to set time limits in the DOS wizard to get it to only dose for those 12 hours.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That schedule means its going to dose as you described 7ml ever 14 minutes at 9ml/min.

However this calculates to 1440 minutes (24h) which means you're not achieving your goal of only dosing from midnight to noon.

You'll want to set time limits in the DOS wizard to get it to only dose for those 12 hours.

I did use the wizard to set the time limits (midnight to noon).

9 mL every 14 min x51 = 459 mL over 12 hours

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's what I like to see!

:)

Thanks everybody for confirming I did it properly
Aside from that I do have dos settings to turn off my kalk if:

If pH > 8.38 Then OFF
If Cax11 > 475 Then OFF
If Alkx11 > 9.70 Then OFF
If SumpHT > 7.5 Then OFF

Then my 2 part dos pumps can kick in if AlK or CAL drop too low. pH usually stays between 8.3 and 8.4

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aside from that I do have dos settings to turn off my kalk if:

If pH > 8.38 Then OFF
If Cax11 > 475 Then OFF
If Alkx11 > 9.70 Then OFF
If SumpHT > 7.5 Then OFF

Then my 2 part dos pumps can kick in if AlK or CAL drop too low. pH usually stays between 8.3 and 8.4

Yes in the advanced settings I added an OFF command if pH exceeds 8.4, if the return pump is off, or if the water level gets too high (meaning kalk dosing has exceeded my evap rate)

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes in the advanced settings I added an OFF command if pH exceeds 8.4, if the return pump is off, or if the water level gets too high (meaning kalk dosing has exceeded my evap rate)
Good! I try not to let it overdose more than my evaporation a day to prevent salinity swings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back