Neptune, Trisent, Apex - etc

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I swore I would never spend that much money on an automated system - but then I realized how much money that I’ve dropped into the hobby in the last 8 months and it makes me LOL in depression.
Anyways, how much does one of these systems cost that makes everything hands off more or less. Including dosers, tubes, test kits, or whatever else is needed to make the system work.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh good question! It's gonna be tough for someone to cough up that kind of information... Following along!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to explain your question.
The cost of Apex is clear, don't think I need to list it here.
When you buy the apex, it can be run out of the box.

Trident, you need an Apex. Either full or EL works. Everything is included in the box for trident to run.
Then you just need the reagent for it.

Apex Doser, also need an apex. And most likely you need the lines for it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impossible to answer as there are way to many variables(apex, ghl, reefbot, reefpi, etc, etc).

The apex and trident combo is 1,100$. But on top of that you would need a DOS(300$), then various test kits, and all sorts of other things.

EDIT:
Spelling, apparently my keyboard doesn't like the letter "F".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really impossible to answer as there are way to many variables(apex, ghl, reefbot, reefpi, etc, etc).

The apex and trident combo is 1,100$. But on top of that you would need a DOS(300$), then various test kits, and all sorts of other things.

EDIT:
Spelling, apparently my keyboard doesn't like the letter "F".
Would it be more helpful if I were telling you what I would want it used for ?
Water test reading for calk, mag and calcium - I would like something for ATO, temp probe would be okay, and then dosers to fix any issues that get out of wack.

do they have phos and nitrate readers ?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind with Covid...getting the reagents for the trident is more difficult.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test reading for calk, mag and calcium - I would like something for ATO, temp probe would be okay, and then dosers to fix any issues that get out of wack.

No

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Apex. Either Full or EL version has temp probe.
Trident test Alk, Cal, and Mag. You can implement a rule to have the doser to run if need more alk, etc.. these are the more adv programming.

Apex has an ATO module. It's called ATK.

No they don't have Phosphate and Nitrate test

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go alkatronic all the way I'm pairing it with coralvue controller cheaper in the long run

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex. Either Full or EL version has temp probe.
Trident test Alk, Cal, and Mag. You can implement a rule to have the doser to run if need more alk, etc.. these are the more adv programming.

Apex has an ATO module. It's called ATK.

No they don't have Phosphate and Nitrate test
Thanks for the info - Theres so much info with this stuff. For those of you that use these items, does it really make everything a million times easier. It seems like it makes your salt water tank hands off and allows you to not constantly worry about changing levels and whatnot. Plus I hate doing manual water tests lol :(

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info - Theres so much info with this stuff. For those of you that use these items, does it really make everything a million times easier. It seems like it makes your salt water tank hands off and allows you to not constantly worry about changing levels and whatnot. Plus I hate doing manual water tests lol :(

Apex helps. That's for sure. But lot's of other tanks have been set up and maintain without apex with success.
Millions times easier? Don't think of it that way.
You will still have to be hands on with your tank to make it successful.

I would love to get the Trident for Alk, Cal, Mag testing. And 1 DOS to set up an auto water change.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, a million times easier .... probably not! I generally don’t recommend high levels of automation for reefing novices. Better to ‘learn’ your tank first and be able to recognize when things are going well and when they are not. The trouble with hobby grade automation is that it can (and eventually will) fail on you. I think I own or have owned every possible apex module, but I’ve been keeping reef tanks since 1987.

Automating rote tasks like water changes and testing is cool .... I hate that stuff anyhow. Probably cuts husbandry down by about two thirds for me ..... so three times easier.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with ca1ore, it will make you lazy in a way. Learn what you are doing and how to make the adjustments, learn your setup as every setup is different. When the gear you bought fails, you will need to know how to make those adjustments anyways and I would hate to have to try to learn how to make the adj on a tank full of coral that I have spent years growing and buying.

With that being said you can get the basic apex that tells you what you want, maybe have to take an extra test here and there because Neptune has not developed a test yet. But the good thing is you can buy part of it, run it, and add to it as time goes on. This is a hobby of patience, and nothing good happens fast! At least that is what the wife tells me anyways. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back